I have an external hard drive, but I am not sure what and how to back it up. I know I want pictures, documents, etc. But I don't know what file to backup?
Also, how can I tell if the backup worked. I will click on a date for a backup and I click on pictures and says nothing matches your search. I don't want to just pick a folder to restore. This is all so confusint to me. I was in a windows 7 forum, but they won't let me in anymore and we were talking about this. Can you help? Thanks.
Instead of doing a selective backup, do an image backup of the entire drive. Not only does this backup your data like pictures, music, movies and documents but it also backs up the operating system and installed programs so if something happens it's very easy and quick to restore. It also ensures you don't forget anything.
You can also browse the backup to extract single files or entire folders.
Do this on a regular basis and you will always have a godd, quick, easy way to recover in case of serious problems or severe malware infections.
I downloaded Macrium Relect - never got the email they said I would get to complete install, but it looks like it installed. BUT when I got in the program and it said where to save it, I didn't have a clue, so I just hit "next". Now how do I get it to back up on my wd elements external hard drive? I didn't see where it gave you options.
ok, something happened. I went to start "reflect" and it wants to install it again. I am so bad at this stuff. Now when I get to the point that I have it up and running, can I restore just the programs I want? I guess I need more detail description of how to work this program. Just don't understand why when I click on the program it goes to install again.
When downloading any program, I always "install to desktop". That way I know where it is
When creating an ISO image of your operating system and folders, first create a folder in you external hard drive and call it "Reflect copy (+date)".
To create the copy of your C: drive, open Macrium reflect, tick your C: drive and then click on "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore windows" in the left-hand window pane.
In the next window that opens, next to "destination" click the three dots and scroll to your external drive and click on the folder you created. Cick "next" and then "finish"
In the next window, untick "save this backup as an XML Backup definition file". Click "OK" and the backup ISO file will now copy and backup to the folder you selected. That's it, your done! Every so often, delete the ISO and replace it with an up to date one.
Re-open Macrium reflect and click on the "Disk" image at the top left of the page. This will walk you through on how to create a bootable rescue disk for if and when you need it.
Ok, I had to restart my computer and then reflect was there. I just opened it and copied image to my external hard drive. Now will I be able to restore just one file if need be from this? Also, how can I tell if it worked?
Thanks.
This program always works. I have used the ISO mirror image file it creates to restore my C: drive quite a few times over the years. I have also used it to restore all my files and operating system onto a new hard drive my computer needed. Very handy if your hard drive
ever goes pear shaped!
Right-click the ISO image file you created and select "Explore" . You will now see everything it made a mirror image of.
You can "copy and paste" any of the folders (photos. documents, music etc) back to C: or to disk any time you like, but you cannot move or delete them from the ISO.
Cheers,
Lee
I am sorry to be so stupid - I went to my external hard drive, clicked on yesterdays disk partition image backup (that is just what it said ) and it said it was corrupt.
ok, there were 3 backups there and one of them worked. Now there are two files I am looking for in particular Pictures, and my excel work. I can't find either in the pull down menu.
Also, is there a way to do an automatic backup with this reflect program? I would like to do it every Sunday.
If you followed my instructions on using Macrium Reflect, I have no idea how you could end up with three ISO images or a corrupt image (?).
In a (good) image, right-click it and "explore". You should have no trouble seeing your pictures folder.
This link will tell you what you can do with the Free / Standard / Pro editions of Macrium reflect.
If you wish to do scheduled ISO images, the free edition will do that (click the schedule tab), but if you wish to do incremental weekly backups (backs up only what has changed in your C: drive) you will need the standard or pro version which you must pay for.
Depending on the size of your hard drive, doing a scheduled weekly scan of your whole C: drive will quickly eat up the space on your storage drive. If that is your plan, I would seriously consider moving up to the "standard" edition so you can do incremental backups.
When I am looking for a file, I just go to the list on the left and those will be my individual files? I thought those were files that are always there, didn't realize those were the ones on Reflect. That is both easy and cool!
Also, if I am putting these backups on my external hard drive, why would I need a bigger Reflect?
I don't need to back up once a week, but I noticed the way I was doing it before getting Reflect, just copying and moving files didn't work. Just decided to check them the other day, so I guess you have to have a program to do it for you. Glad I checked. Thanks
what is an incremental backup? Is that a automatic setup? Would I be ok if I just did it manually once a week. Then can't I delete the older ones which would give me more room?
what is an incremental backup? Is that a automatic setup? Would I be ok if I just did it manually once a week. Then can't I delete the older ones which would give me more room?
Delete the old ISO image and replace it with a new one using the free Macrium Reflect. You can do this once a week or what suits.
An incremental backup only backs up any changes (any files added ect) since your last ISO image, but you then need to purchase ISO imaging software that will do that. Macrium Reflect Standard and Acronis True Image are both excellent for this task. Both programs can be set up to do this automatically. Personally, I don't like anything done automatically on my PC but some people do.
Cheers,
Lee
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI