This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Upgrading desktop

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My Athlon xp 2800+ desktop has become unreliable. Also I want to move to Win7 from XP and the Windows Upgrade Advisor suggests the current configuration is unsuitable. It is my second computer, and less used than my laptop, although still useful, so economy is important here. 3D graphics unlikely to be needed. My plan is to replace the current mATX motherboard with a new one, new processor, 4megs ram, discard the two IDE hard drives replacing them with one 1TB Samsung Spinpoint Drive, but retain the two existing SATA 200GB drives. I don't much use my two IDE optical drives so I intend to keep these (attached to the single IDE connection on modern motherboards) and not upgrade. The case, wireless card and 400watt power unit would be retained. I am considering these relatively inexpensive components (having checked that they seem likely to be compatible): MSI GF615M-P33 GeForce 6150SE Socket AM3 VGA 8 channel Audio mATX Motherboard AMD Athlon X2 245 2.9GHZ Socket AM3 2MB Cache Retail Box Processor EXTRA VALUE 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz Memory Kit 1.5V CL9 Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English Do you think this might work? Any problems I should watch out for?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI