This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Building a computer for the first time

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I've upgraded a handfull of times, but I need some suggestions / help/ critiquing on this selection; 2 LG DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model GH24NS50 - OEM $49.98 ($24.99 each) 1 NZXT GAMMA Classic Series GAMA-001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $29.99 2 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $179.98 ($89.99 each) 1 Foxconn A7DA-S 3.0 AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail (PCI EXPRESS 1.0 AND 2.0 X16 ports, and 2x DDR3 RAM slots) Item #: N82E16813186168 Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy $94.99 1 EVGA 015-P3-N969-LR GeForce 9600 GSO 1.5GB 192-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail $74.99 2 Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3/2GR - Retail $107.98 ($53.99 each) 1 AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Model ADX630WFGIBOX - Retail $99.99 1 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM $104.9 I realize that there is no power supply listed, I need a suggestion on what would be the nest specs on one to get. Also if you know of something better for cheaper or the same price by all means tell me! Prices and what not all from newegg EDIT: my budget is $1,000. so at the current time i have about 250 ish left. i can adjust some things to allow more, if need be. but i do not want to break over my budget.
Hey Sabre, I'm just wondering what the primary use for your new rig will be? I might have a couple of suggestions for the GPU depending on what you're planning to do with it. Cheers Nahumi
Trying to make a half way decent gaming rig, that i can set up as a dual boot with Ubuntu and windows 7. (hence the 2 1TB harddrives)
Okay,

The DVD Drive, Case , HDD, Mobo, RAM and OS all look fine to me. Personally I'd go for a Phenom II over the new Athlon's, simply because the L3 cache comes in handy. Newegg has currently got a deal on the Phenom II 940, which has a higher clock rate and L3 Cache. It's only about $30 more expensive, so it's actually not a bad price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…3-644-_-Product

I would also recommend a slightly different graphics card. The 9600 is okay, but it won't be able to play all the newest games at anywhere near the best settings. I would suggest spending a bit more and getting a SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 4870.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…2-825-_-Product

That would pair up very nicely with your motherboard and allow you to take advantage of "ATi's Hybrid Graphics technology".

(As a point of comparison the 9600 has a 3DMark06 score of 12086, the 4870 has a score of 17106. There is also a big difference in average FPS at higher resolutions in games.)

As for PSU, go for something like the CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX. It's a 850W PSU, which would easily be able to power everything.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…9-009-_-Product

So you'll end up spending about an extra $250, bringing you up to your budget. The Athlon II is probably fine, but if you're wanting to have a gaming rig, I really do suggest spending a bit more on a better graphics card.

I hope that helps you a bit.

Cheers
Nahumi

Okay,

The DVD Drive, Case , HDD, Mobo, RAM and OS all look fine to me. Personally I'd go for a Phenom II over the new Athlon's, simply because the L3 cache comes in handy. Newegg has currently got a deal on the Phenom II 940, which has a higher clock rate and L3 Cache. It's only about $30 more expensive, so it's actually not a bad price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…3-644-_-Product

I would also recommend a slightly different graphics card. The 9600 is okay, but it won't be able to play all the newest games at anywhere near the best settings. I would suggest spending a bit more and getting a SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 4870.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…2-825-_-Product

That would pair up very nicely with your motherboard and allow you to take advantage of "ATi's Hybrid Graphics technology".

(As a point of comparison the 9600 has a 3DMark06 score of 12086, the 4870 has a score of 17106. There is also a big difference in average FPS at higher resolutions in games.)

As for PSU, go for something like the CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX. It's a 850W PSU, which would easily be able to power everything.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…9-009-_-Product

So you'll end up spending about an extra $250, bringing you up to your budget. The Athlon II is probably fine, but if you're wanting to have a gaming rig, I really do suggest spending a bit more on a better graphics card.

I hope that helps you a bit.

Cheers
Nahumi



thats scraping the ceiling of my budget, but still excellently priced.

However the downside is i have to wait on the actual money, because I'm getting it from the Navy (Enlistment Bonus, for about 5,000) and that won't happen till after i get out of boot camp (or possibly even A School.) I just hope the prices don't fluctuate to horribly while I'm gone.
You'll probably find that the prices will be cheaper when you get back. AMD are just about to release 6-Core CPU's, which should theoretically reduce the price of the quad cores. Same goes for the 4870, and you always have the option of getting the 4850. Or if prices really go down, you could get a 5000 series card so that you can play DirectX11 games. Just write another post when you're ready to buy and I'll have a look to see if there's anything newer/cheaper around. I'm sure everyone else on the forums will have some great suggestions too. Have fun at boot camp.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI