AnonPC
Topic Starter
I'm thinking of building a new system and need some help. I've built one other computer before but I still need help. Especially since it's been 5 years(it was a 478 system). I'm thinking of getting a budget system based on one of the above proccessors. I want it to last a while and i need help picking out components.
I have two 250GB SATA 8MB drives to carry over and two DVD burners. I have the case and other things like floppy drive. I also have a pci sound blaster audigy2 platinum pro card I can transfer over if it would even be useful in a new system. My case if a nice big tower that supports ATX and probly mini atx and several other things. I beleive it is called something like Super or Spider AlienX case. I'm not quite sure. And I have the OS and all the software I need.
I know I need the CPU, MOBO, Video card, Ram, and I'm pretty sure a new PSU. I was starting by trying to get a nice cheap system based around that proccessor but that wil still last a bit. I am looking for parts on newegg but am completely stuck about any detail of what I should pick because of how many changes there have been and how many vid cards there are that are so similar.
How do you pick between video cards exactly? I was looking at something like an 8800 nvidia card but i have no idea how to choose one or if it is a good choice. What is the difference between the card models and the specifics on the cards themselves? How do you tell the performance or know what you want based on the specs? There was a nice EVGA 8800 something for about 144 or 133 but I don't know if it is any good cards are better. What is the difference between the GT GS and GTS etc? They all seem to have around the same speeds on ram so what do you look for to pick out a good card?Edit: (the video card was the 8800GTS 320mb that is no longer available on newegg.) I'm not sure how most newer cards perform. So I'm not sure what is really a good idea to sacrifice. I've been trying to look at bit lenght to help with performance. If you compare the bit lenght and the ram volume in a ratio together the 256bit 9600gt is about the same performance as the 320bit 6400b 8800GTS but that is weird because the 9600GT is the price of the 8800GTS 320MB and not the 640MB version. But I don't know if this is correct.
I was looking at mobos at around 65-90 dollars. I'm not sure how cheap I can get safely. And I can't find a good motherboard for the price that support raid. Unless I can software emulate raid? I currently have a setup in it and would love to be able to port the raid but I'm guessing that isn't possible.
I've seen ram about 70-80 dollars for 4 gigs is there anything to look for in this? There was a nice set of OCZ 800mhz ram with 5-5-5-15 for about 67 dollars but the prices went up,
And I don't know what to look at for PSU. I've seen one at xoxide for about 70 that looked pretty good. But I don't really know what to get. I really don't know what I need out the newer stuff either.
I have current prices of about 570 but I'm not sure what of that is neccesary or what I can get perfomance wise for less. I think I hit about as cheap as I can Unless I have to or can radically change the video card or drop the ram and still be ok. I just wish I understood performance on video cards better. What would the lower end 8X00s do? some of those are around 50 dollars.
http://www.xoxide.com/logisys-650w-uv-sps-120.html PSU. I don't really know how to tell if a power supply is good enough for a system. And is it bad it doesn't have a rear fan. Or would it even fit? How do you tell how a power supply fit in? The fan looks like it would be totally in the case. But my case does have 6 fans in it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16819115037 E8400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16819115017 Q6600
I'm a computer science major too. I wish I knew this stuff, but I just started the degree. Hopefully, if I don't change degrees, I will.
I remember what else I needed to figure out. What do I have to worry about with ram speeds to processor fsb speeds in newer system? What are you looking for t find the right video card? And what do you need for a PSU and how do you tell how much power you need? I've seen stuff about single rail vs miltirail, but they of course never cover any detail so you can learn anything about it.
And hi this is my first time to these forums. Just registered.
I have two 250GB SATA 8MB drives to carry over and two DVD burners. I have the case and other things like floppy drive. I also have a pci sound blaster audigy2 platinum pro card I can transfer over if it would even be useful in a new system. My case if a nice big tower that supports ATX and probly mini atx and several other things. I beleive it is called something like Super or Spider AlienX case. I'm not quite sure. And I have the OS and all the software I need.
I know I need the CPU, MOBO, Video card, Ram, and I'm pretty sure a new PSU. I was starting by trying to get a nice cheap system based around that proccessor but that wil still last a bit. I am looking for parts on newegg but am completely stuck about any detail of what I should pick because of how many changes there have been and how many vid cards there are that are so similar.
How do you pick between video cards exactly? I was looking at something like an 8800 nvidia card but i have no idea how to choose one or if it is a good choice. What is the difference between the card models and the specifics on the cards themselves? How do you tell the performance or know what you want based on the specs? There was a nice EVGA 8800 something for about 144 or 133 but I don't know if it is any good cards are better. What is the difference between the GT GS and GTS etc? They all seem to have around the same speeds on ram so what do you look for to pick out a good card?Edit: (the video card was the 8800GTS 320mb that is no longer available on newegg.) I'm not sure how most newer cards perform. So I'm not sure what is really a good idea to sacrifice. I've been trying to look at bit lenght to help with performance. If you compare the bit lenght and the ram volume in a ratio together the 256bit 9600gt is about the same performance as the 320bit 6400b 8800GTS but that is weird because the 9600GT is the price of the 8800GTS 320MB and not the 640MB version. But I don't know if this is correct.
I was looking at mobos at around 65-90 dollars. I'm not sure how cheap I can get safely. And I can't find a good motherboard for the price that support raid. Unless I can software emulate raid? I currently have a setup in it and would love to be able to port the raid but I'm guessing that isn't possible.
I've seen ram about 70-80 dollars for 4 gigs is there anything to look for in this? There was a nice set of OCZ 800mhz ram with 5-5-5-15 for about 67 dollars but the prices went up,
And I don't know what to look at for PSU. I've seen one at xoxide for about 70 that looked pretty good. But I don't really know what to get. I really don't know what I need out the newer stuff either.
I have current prices of about 570 but I'm not sure what of that is neccesary or what I can get perfomance wise for less. I think I hit about as cheap as I can Unless I have to or can radically change the video card or drop the ram and still be ok. I just wish I understood performance on video cards better. What would the lower end 8X00s do? some of those are around 50 dollars.
http://www.xoxide.com/logisys-650w-uv-sps-120.html PSU. I don't really know how to tell if a power supply is good enough for a system. And is it bad it doesn't have a rear fan. Or would it even fit? How do you tell how a power supply fit in? The fan looks like it would be totally in the case. But my case does have 6 fans in it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16819115037 E8400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16819115017 Q6600
I'm a computer science major too. I wish I knew this stuff, but I just started the degree. Hopefully, if I don't change degrees, I will.
I remember what else I needed to figure out. What do I have to worry about with ram speeds to processor fsb speeds in newer system? What are you looking for t find the right video card? And what do you need for a PSU and how do you tell how much power you need? I've seen stuff about single rail vs miltirail, but they of course never cover any detail so you can learn anything about it.
And hi this is my first time to these forums. Just registered.