This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Incredibly slow computing, viruses possible, but unknown. Works, but i

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, the last time I was here I was working on my own laptop that was incredibly infected, and OldTimer really helped me. Now, I want to help my girlfriend by making her computer usable to her again, as she couldn't even use it to type essays. Typing and just using the mouse are extremely lagged. Since it was not my personal pc, I am not sure of what kind of exposure to virus-infecting sites it has suffered, but I don't think it came from surfing for porn or the like. Any help would greatly be appreciated, and I would surely donate something once my financial aid goes through :) Thanks. Here's what the computer is and what it's running: Dell Studio 1737 Laptop. Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo. T6400 @ 2.0 GHz Windows Vista Home Premium 2007 4 GB ram 64-bit operating system. I dont know if this matters, but it's windows experience index was 4.9 I will be on until 7 pm today, then all day tomorrow. (it is now 4:30, pst) Thank you!
I will also be downloading anything on my Mac, then transferring it to the slow computer via my ipod/HD like a flashdrive, so if I'm given everything I'll need to download, I could do it all at once. I'm just trying to be efficient. I already downloaded malwarebytes (mbam) and TFC just because I remember using them before. Should I get a HJT log yet? If i remember correctly, i will be told when to get this.
Hello there, coryjames80

:welcome:

I'm Conspire, I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.

Please observe these rules while we work:
  • Read the entire procedure
  • It is important to perform ALL actions in sequence.
  • If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
  • Stick with me till you're given the all clear.
  • Remember, absence of symptoms does not mean the infection is all gone.
  • Don't attempt to clean your computer with any tools other than the ones I ask you to use during the cleanup process.
Please be advised, as I am still in training, all my replies to you will be checked for accuracy by one of our experts to ensure that I am giving you the best possible advise.
This may cause a delay, but I will do my best to keep it as short as possible.

Please bear with me, I will post back to you as soon as I can.

IMPORTANT NOTE : Please do not delete anything unless instructed to.

**In any case where you happen to be busy or unable to give us a reply, we would be more than grateful if you keep us informed in advance and we will be more than happy to wait. Failure to do so we will have your thread closed in THREE(3) days. :)
Hi,

Download OTL to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click on Minimal Output at the top
  • Download the following file scan.txt to your Desktop. Click here to download it. You may need to right click on it and select "Save"
  • Double click inside the Custom Scan box at the bottom
  • A window will appear saying "Click OK to load a custom scan from a file or Cancel to cancel"
  • Click the OK button and navigate to the file scan.txt which we just saved to your desktop
  • Select scan.txt and click Open. Writing will now appear under the Custom Scan box
  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan won't take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time and post them in your topic
===================================================

Please download MBRCheck.exe to your desktop.
  • Be sure to disable your security programs
  • Double click on the file to run it (Vista and Windows 7 users will have to confirm the UAC prompt)
  • A window will open on your desktop
  • if an unknown bootcode is found you will have further options available to you, at this time press N then press Enter twice.
  • If nothing unusual is found just press Enter
  • A .txt file named MBRCheck_mm.dd.yy_hh.mm.ss should appear on your desktop.
  • Please post the contents of that file.
===================================================

On your next reply please post :
OTL log
MBRCheck log

Good Day!
Hello Conspire, thanks for attempting to help me with this. Unfortunately, I am heading to the east coast for a few weeks, and away from the computer. School starts again on January 3rd, so it may be around then that I get a chance to work with my girlfriend's computer again. I will ask her if she can do it herself and if she is willing to, and able to, but she is a girl who may have little patience with it, along with less computer knowledge. so I may want to take care of it myself since I have been through this website's process before. Before we parted ways, I tried running the mbam scans on it, and through the full scan, it made it almost 13 hours before I stopped it and did the quick scan, which I let run for 5 hours before I ran out of time with it, and I couldn't tell if they were any close to finishing, but at those times there were 0 infected files found. This is just to emphasize how slow the PC is running. Anyway, thanks for the help, and if she can work with you herself, I'll let her take over. Otherwise I will be back in the new year. I will keep you updated either way. Thanks. -Cory

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI