Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Can't stay connected to internet. Please help.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pippsfan3

pippsfan3

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:14 AM

Sorry if this isn't in the proper spot but I was searching for answers to my problem and came across this site and "philcamera" 's post caught my eye as being a similar case. The basics first I guess. I have a pc, laptop, ps3, and wii. Everything was fine as of Friday morn then that evening I lost the pc internet. Tried resetting and nothing. The pc and ps3 are hardwired to my router and will not stay connected to the internet and I can't figure out why. I have tried swapping out my router for a new one and that didn't help, same issue. I have also tried a direct connection to my pc and that will time out as well. Not as often but it does. It seems to drop out and stay out more than its up and running. It happens continuously. I have also tried resetting modem and router multiple times but I would have to keep doing it just to keep the pc up and go. It seems that the wireless works the best when its working. Sorry about the crazy post I'm sure you all get some crazy ones. I just don't know what to do anymore and I've messed around enough on my own that I'm sure I'm about to get myself in to some trouble. My wife uses the pc mostly so she is on my back big time. My plan is to call my provider and see what they can do, I just know what a pain they can be. Maybe someone can help me figure something out before I call them so I know exactly what to tell them. Any suggestions? All help is accepted! Also just like "philcamera" my pc is also super slow when trying to power on after login screen (takes forever before I can do anything). If I can get this computer up and running smooth I would be most greatful. Thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 pippsfan3

pippsfan3

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:38 PM

Anyone? If I have posted in the wrong spot or need something else for someone to help me, I'm more than willing to do it. Thanks

#3 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:46 PM

It seems that the wireless works the best when its working.

In other words, every device has internet connectivity trouble?

This is simple, the modem, phone/cable line, or ISP is the problem. Please contact them for assistance on testing your line. Power problem probably damaged the modem.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#4 pippsfan3

pippsfan3

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:31 PM

I'm greatful for your response. Yes, the wireless runs the best and has a lot less drop outs than my hardwired PC. I actually watched a streamed videos on laptop with no problem and tried the same video at the same time on the pc, video was lagging and timed out on pc while the laptop kept running just fine. Any ideas? I guess I'll put in a call to time warnner and see what they say. I have tried different cat5 cables, new router, and I have reconfigured a more direct connection to coaxial cable. Do you suggest I maybe swap the cable modem? Thanks for you time.

#5 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:56 PM

At least call your ISP and have them check the modem and the line. The modem maintains a log that can quickly tell them if there are line quality or connectivity issues. They are the first place to start, because they can be pretty sure if the modem is maintaining a good connection or not. If they say everything looks ok, make sure that they did query the modem and find out if it shows any events in the log that suggest it might be having connectivity troubles or not. If everything looks good, come on back here and we'll try to find something else.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.

#6 pippsfan3

pippsfan3

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:25 AM

Just had them here and they had to change somethings outside, they agreed that something was wrong with whatever port I was using outside and also gave me a new modem. Was working ok after they left. I just tried to stream a movie from my pc to ps3 to check it and it still doesn't play, just slow studders. Also just noticed lockups as I'm trying to change to a different web site. Should I call them back or could it be something on the pc? I am home the next couple days and will check back often. Thanks again for taking the time to help. Ha, Ha just noticed your from Flint, I spent a few years in Grand Blanc. Small world.

Edited by pippsfan3, 27 July 2010 - 10:27 AM.

#7 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

Hmmm.. Run a test at speedtest.net to a server near by you. Post back with your PING, Upstream, and Downstream numbers. Yes, I currently live in Grand Blanc.

#8 pippsfan3

pippsfan3

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:28 AM

Finally got the pc to get connected again and got 26ms ping, 0.49 Mbs upload and 5.05 Mbs download. Same problem as before just happened when trying to answer your post. I was on the laptop saw that you posted went to the pc and tried to open IE and it said it couldn't display webpage. Then on its own came back.

#9 pippsfan3

pippsfan3

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:46 PM

Swapped to a different router and I was gone allday so I don't know if we had dropouts. There weren't any last night but I am still having problems with streaming anything from my pc to my ps3. The pc still hangs up everything on me and freezes for a minute or so before it comes back up. I use ps3 media server. Can you think of anything? Thanks

#10 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:40 PM

Would you verify that the PS3 is also having internet connectivity issues? Thats what I understood from your first post, and you suggested that the other wireless devices are also having trouble. So this would tend to point at a central device such as the router, modem, or lines running to the house.

You had the ISP out and they checked things, and the numbers you provided on the speed test seem normal.

However, as far as streaming between the PC and PS3, that is a local connection and can't possibly be effected by a problematic internet connection. Of all things, it seems the streaming between local devices should work flawlessly.

This is strange. I think you are running Windows Vista on the PC? If so, click start -> all progams -> accessories and right-click "Command Prompt" and click Run As Administrator. At the command prompt copy and paste the following: ipconfig /all > postme.txt & notepad postme.txt and press ENTER. Notepad will open, please copy and paste that to the forum so I can review it and recommend a few other commands to test your connection and try to pinpoint the problem.

#11 pippsfan3

pippsfan3

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:08 PM

Yes the PS3 was having connectivity problems even after the swap of the modem(using a different router than what is currently installed). I did swap routers yesterday and the hardwired connection to internet works. It still seems slower to load than my original router allthough that could just be my mind playing trick on me. Idon't like the range on the one I picked up so I know I'll be swapping to another router again. If the router was part of the problem. I didn't think that the streaming would go over the net but wasn't 100% sure. I ran this with the newer router installed if you need it with the old one let me know. Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : main Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-8B-5D-D6-67 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.3(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:28:01 PM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, September 05, 2146 6:22:20 AM Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1 NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #4 Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 13: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.earthlink.net Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 16: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{DF65F0F1-32E6-4668-AE30-BB1FB42D3787} Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 19: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.earthlink.net Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes