can't connect to internet
14 min read
- Open System in Control Panel
- Click on the Hardware tab then Device Manager button
- Expand (click on the +) for Network Adapters
If not, please run ipconfig /all from a command prompt
- Click on Start then Run
- Type cmd and press Enter or click OK
- Type ipconfig /all and press Enter
- Right click on the command prompt window title bar, select Edit then Mark
- Use the mouse to select all the output from the ipconfig command, them click the right mouse button. This will copy the data to the clipboard.
- Start a new post here and paste the data you copied into it.
Please try the following from a Command Prompt: ping www.mozilla.org
The response should look something like this:
ping www.mozilla.org
Pinging www-mozilla-org.glb.mozilla.com [63.245.209.11] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 63.245.209.11: bytes=32 time=171ms TTL=238
Reply from 63.245.209.11: bytes=32 time=169ms TTL=238
Reply from 63.245.209.11: bytes=32 time=169ms TTL=238
Reply from 63.245.209.11: bytes=32 time=170ms TTL=238
Ping statistics for 63.245.209.11:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 169ms, Maximum = 171ms, Average = 169ms
Edit: Something got lost in my post. I'll add it here for completeness.
If that works then you have a working internet and DNS (Domain Name Server) and your problem is with your browser or other software.
If it doesn't work, please ping [removed] which is the IP address of Mozilla.org. If that works (you get responses similar to what I show) then you most likely have a DNS problem. Switching to OpenDNS could solve it. See here: https://www.opendns.com/k12/start/computer/
"If that works" - what do you mean by "works"?
Also, how do I switch to "OpenDNS"?
Thanks..
Hi socko,
He means if you're able to ping mozilla.com and get a reply, then that 'works'. If you weren't able to ping the site, you'd get a 'no reply'/timeout message.
If you follow the link provided here: https://www.opendns.com/k12/start/computer/
Select your OS which is XP i presume and it'll talk you through how to change to OpenDNS.
Hope this helps.
'Bob
Did you see a series of Replies, a Host Not Found error, or a series of Request Timed Out errors?
OpenDNS may help resolve your problem, but this would only imply that there is another problem with your ISPs DNS servers (which should not be the case) or another setting on your computer or network equipment somewhere.
I'm all for band-aid solutions (not to discredit those who suggested it), but I love to troubleshoot the root cause of a problem and would like to know your ping results and have the chance to have you try a couple other things before switching to OpenDNS and possibly missing a potential problem on your network.
Then, try the command ping 63.245.209.11 and press ENTER.
Let us know the results of each command.
What make and model of router are you using?
After the above command results, please plug the computer directly into the cable modem, and then re-run the ipconfig /all command that ztruker previously had you perform, and please post the results this time.
Are you aware that most cable modems I have experience with are extremely touchy to hardware changes. What this means is, if you plug a different computer/device into the cable modem, it must be completely powered down, including removing any backup batteries that are found in Voice over IP units. My suggestion is that you plug the computer directly into the cable modem only after you have unplugged any other devices and completely reset the power on the unit. After this, test your internet connection, and come back with the results of the ipconfig /all command if it still isn't working. Which, most likely the internet isn't going to work, but you have to try the most obvious thing first.
Will do as you suggest when I get down to my daughter's home again this weekend. But as I said in my original post. It makes no difference whether I go through the router or plug directly into the cable modem.
The ISP cable company had me ping their site and determined that I am getting a good signal, ie the problem isn't on their end or with their modem. This past weekend we tried connecting a different (ie a second laptop) laptop and it worked fine whether through the router or directly to the cable modem, so it seems apparent that the problem is some setting or software on the desk top computer.
If you guys can't get me straight, I guess I'll have to reformat the desk top's hard drive, but I really haet to have to do that.
I don't usually explain my reasoning behind everything I ask. The purpose of plugging it into the cable modem is not only to eliminate the possibility that there is something configured wrong with the router, but also to see how the settings change in the ipconfig /all command so I can gain more information about your problem and diagnose the failure. It is clear that there is most likely a software problem on the laptop, but, I've been around the business long enough to know better than to take the word of others without first diagnosing every possibility myself. You can follow a thread in the software forum that I am currently active in and understand why. Its not that I don't believe you, I just know that for reasons you might not understand the information given to me that you are sure is correct, may not be.
Formatting the hard drive seems a bit drastic, but its going to be hard to troubleshoot a problem if you only have a little while at the location to work.
All the evidence you have provided can only possibly point to one thing. Some obscure software problem. But, my reasoning and experience tells me that this is not a software issue. I don't have any other way to explain this issue.
I believe we are missing something here, but I can't tell you what. To recap, you have told me that you have tried at least three different ethernet adapters on the desktop computer. When the desktop is connected to the router, the connection information you posted shows that it has a healthy connection to the router, yet your internet still fails. When you plug it into the modem directly the computer tells you that the cable is disconnected. You say you have plugged a laptop into the router or cable modem and it works both ways. All the evidence, except for the one about plugging a laptop in and having it work, points to a problem with the modem.
I have a question. Are you sure that the laptop you plugged in wasn't also connected wirelessly to some nearby wireless connection that would mask any problem at all with the hardwired connection?
Secondly, hook the router back up to the cable modem, and plug the computer back into the router. When you run an ipconfig /all command it should look similar to this post you made earlier. If so, then you need to login to the router and determine the status of the WAN connection.
To do this, open internet explorer on the desktop and in the address bar type in 192.168.1.1 and press ENTER. The default username on your router is "admin" and the password is "password"
Look for the maintenance menu on the left hand side of the router and then click "Router status." Look for the status of your "Internet Port" and post back here with the information it provides.
Also, being able to login to the router and check its status with the above directions is one more piece of proof that the computer, software, ethernet adapter, and cable are all just fine and functioning properly, again pointing back to the modem as being at fault.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI