This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

restore point

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My pc came preinstalled. Restore points are not being created automatically. Furthermore, I noticed there was no room for them on the slide bar about 2 weeks ago so I created space. Also the setting was set not to create points which I changed at the same time. Is there some procedure I am supposed to perform to initiate creation of these points?
Microsoft Tech.

You will find that by design Windows 7 will only create an automatic restore point if no restore points of any type have been created for 7 days.



Worth checking:
Start / Control Panel / Programs / Programs and Features / Turn Windows Features on or off

Make sure Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) is on.

Cheers,
Lee
Alternatively to my first suggestion. Start / right click My Computer / manage / Services and Applications / Services / Scroll down to System Restore / right click it and select properties / Automatic / click 'start service' if it is not already started. Cheers, Lee
Did you look at the link I provided?

To see if System Restore is enabled on any version of Win 7:

Click on Start then right click on Computer and select Properties.
Click on Advanced System Settings in the left pane.
Click on the System Protection tab.

If Disabled, follow the instructions by Brink and download and run the Enable_System_Restore.reg file by double clicking on it.
The local group poicy editor is not available in the Home and Home Premium versions. The download would work but because I was able to go to system restore and move the slide bar for space, and to move the dot to allow for setting restore points from no retore points to restore system settings and previous files etc., I belive it is working. I notice it only sets automatic points weekly unless another change is made which may account for no automatic points created. I still do not know why the dot was preloaded to not create points and why the slide bar was set so there was no room. But that is history and I am ok for now. Thank you

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI