Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Windows Live Mail 2011

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NormanR

NormanR

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:58 AM

Hello, I have installed Windows Live Mail 2011 as my email client to receive my email from AOL and BTCONNECT. When I open the application I am prompted for my password for both email providers previously mentioned. I find that if I cancel the password request I am still able to open the application and read previously unread but downloaded or read email in any of the 'storage' folders I have made. I can't read new mail (or send any) without inputting the password but email already downloaded is easily accessed. This is a clear lack of privacy in that anyone can open the application and read my mail (once downloaded) should they have a desire to do so. Am I doing something wrong or is this the way the system works? This makes no sense and would be far more logical if the application couldn't be opened unless the password was required. Any suggestions? Many Thanks, Norman

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:19 AM

that's the way things work, the way around it(and should be standard practice for a multi user pc) is for you to setup an admin account and a user account for you, both needing a password to log onto and only you know, then a guest user account that doesn't need a password for everyone else who may use the computer, or give every user a separate user account that they can put they're own passwords on, if desired. the admin account would still be able to access all the data on the pc, regardless of any user passwords tho. but other users wouldn't be able to see each others data. :popcorn:

#3 NormanR

NormanR

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:25 AM

Hello Terry, OK, thanks for your reply. I am aware of user accounts but I didn't really want to password protect access to my computer, just the email client (as I can with AOL, for instance). Are you aware of any other email client that will give me that? I also use OWA and with that one cannot access the programme without inputting a passsword. I would use that but it isn't very flexible - and rather boring. Norman

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:36 PM

I don't know of any either. The userid an password are only needed to access your E-mail provider server, not any data already existing in you local E_mail account. Terry gave you the best method of protection.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#5 NormanR

NormanR

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:45 AM

Z, Seems that doesn't it? It's a bad idea though in that anyone can access email already downloaded locally. Any good alternatives? Norman

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:26 PM

This sounds interesting: http://email.about.c...e_mail.htm?rd=1 May be what you want.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#7 NormanR

NormanR

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:06 AM

Z, Thank you for that, I will take a look. Norman