Hello,
I have installed Windows Live Mail 2011 as my email client to receive my email from AOL and BTCONNECT. When I open the application I am prompted for my password for both email providers previously mentioned. I find that if I cancel the password request I am still able to open the application and read previously unread but downloaded or read email in any of the 'storage' folders I have made. I can't read new mail (or send any) without inputting the password but email already downloaded is easily accessed. This is a clear lack of privacy in that anyone can open the application and read my mail (once downloaded) should they have a desire to do so. Am I doing something wrong or is this the way the system works? This makes no sense and would be far more logical if the application couldn't be opened unless the password was required. Any suggestions?
Many Thanks,
Norman
that's the way things work,
the way around it(and should be standard practice for a multi user pc) is for you to setup an admin account and a user account for you,
both needing a password to log onto and only you know,
then a guest user account that doesn't need a password for everyone else who may use the computer,
or give every user a separate user account that they can put they're own passwords on, if desired.
the admin account would still be able to access all the data on the pc, regardless of any user passwords tho.
but other users wouldn't be able to see each others data.
Hello Terry,
OK, thanks for your reply. I am aware of user accounts but I didn't really want to password protect access to my computer, just the email client (as I can with AOL, for instance). Are you aware of any other email client that will give me that? I also use OWA and with that one cannot access the programme without inputting a passsword. I would use that but it isn't very flexible - and rather boring.
Norman
I don't know of any either. The userid an password are only needed to access your E-mail provider server, not any data already existing in you local E_mail account. Terry gave you the best method of protection.