Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

oe mail & windows 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hedley93

hedley93

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

I am currently using OE as my email client, but I believe that will no longer be available in windows 7. I have saved a lot of my mails as .eml with a programme called oe viewer and put them on to another hard disk on my pc before compacting oe folders. I have read where oe messages can be opened in windows mail, but does anyone know if I will be able to read the saved .eml files on my hard disk if I don't have oe running on the pc, or if they will be readable in windows mail too. Hope I have explained myself well enough. If not, please ask for more info. Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered. hedley

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:06 AM

Hi, The easy way to do this is to copy your OE store folder and then import it into win 7...... it will take only a few seconds or so.
Here's how:
http://windows.micro...Outlook-Express
Saving each email as a .eml is really not a good idea...... unless you have only one or two to copy across..
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 hedley93

hedley93

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for that paws. Silly question time - would I be better changing to windows mail before I change to windows 7? Would this make life easier in the long run? Thanks for the help. hedley

#4 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:05 AM

You could always export to a folder your outlook stuff and copy to disk. You could also install an em software like Mozzilla Thunderbird in W7. Similar to Outlook Express but with a better interface. There is no need to install Windows Live in W7. Some users consider it a bloatware program and also some people don't like their em's and attachments floating around in windows live cloudland either. I installed Windows Live in XP but didn't install it in W7 (dual OS system}, but installed Thunderbird instead. I can use a Windows Live link in W7 to check my WL mail, which I mainly only use when I have to provide a valid em for the usual various online things etc. Personal em goes only to my Thunderbird account. Not a bad setup really. I don't think you would have any problems importing Outlook stuff into Thunderbird once on W7. Of course Thunderbird is not the only em program worth considering. I'm sure everyone has their favorites.

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.