I am currently using OE as my email client, but I believe that will no longer be available in windows 7. I have saved a lot of my mails as .eml with a programme called oe viewer and put them on to another hard disk on my pc before compacting oe folders.
I have read where oe messages can be opened in windows mail, but does anyone know if I will be able to read the saved .eml files on my hard disk if I don't have oe running on the pc, or if they will be readable in windows mail too.
Hope I have explained myself well enough. If not, please ask for more info.
Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered.
hedley
Hi, The easy way to do this is to copy your OE store folder and then import it into win 7…… it will take only a few seconds or so.
Here's how: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows…Outlook-Express
Saving each email as a .eml is really not a good idea…… unless you have only one or two to copy across..
Regards
paws
Thanks for that paws.
Silly question time - would I be better changing to windows mail before I change to windows 7? Would this make life easier in the long run?
Thanks for the help.
hedley
You could always export to a folder your outlook stuff and copy to disk. You could also install an em software like Mozzilla Thunderbird in W7. Similar to Outlook Express but with a better interface. There is no need to install Windows Live in W7. Some users consider it a bloatware program and also some people don't like their em's and attachments floating around in windows live cloudland either.
I installed Windows Live in XP but didn't install it in W7 (dual OS system}, but installed Thunderbird instead. I can use a Windows Live link in W7 to check my WL mail, which I mainly only use when I have to provide a valid em for the usual various online things etc. Personal em goes only to my Thunderbird account. Not a bad setup really. I don't think you would have any problems importing Outlook stuff into Thunderbird once on W7. Of course Thunderbird is not the only em program worth considering. I'm sure everyone has their favorites.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI