This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Both my computers are failing me!

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

So I bought this desktop from a friend who had to leave the country. I researched the specs and all seemed to fit together pretty well. In fact, when it was first built it had premium parts. But he had windows xp installed on it and didn't do any gaming on it. In fact it was probably more like a htpc. Anyway I installed Windows 7 Ultimate on it, sli'd 2 260 gtx's, and added another 1 tb harddrive in it. So far I have experienced : Blue Screen Video Card drivers failing Programs will fail or stop working all of a sudden Downloaded files are being corrupted (which I found was due to faulty ram still happens on occasion) Sound card will switch to hdmi and I have to restart my computer to get it to work on the 5.1 Starcraft 2 will crash and say files are corrupt These a problems that I can think from the top of my head but I've done a lot to try and pinpoint the problem but to no avail. Here are the things that I have tried: Reformatting and reinstalling all the newest drivers Taking out all 4 sticks of ram and memtesting each one Running the defragger for both hdd's Running a svcchck on both hdds Virus and malware scan Making sure all the cables are plugged in securely Flashing my bios I attached my dxdiag here which lists all my hardware. 📎DxDiag.txt I am stumped but I also know I'm not completely computer savvy so if anyone could give my some advice or help that would be super awesome. Thanks Everyone!
What is the PSU you have (make\model) ? You will need to pull the side of the case and read from the sticker on it, but as you have added that amount of new hardware, specifically the video cards (my guess is they will be power hungry), I suspect the PSU may not be man enough now, or it may be starting to go bad, if you have a PSU tester\meter you can check that at the same time, try using a single (maybe the original) card and see if it behaves then, if it does it starts to support this theory.
ahh I didn't think to check the PSU… Probably because I don't really know how too :/ I have a Corsair 750. Whats the best way to check the PSU
How Do I Test the Power Supply in My Computer ?
TBH a PSU such as that should certainly be able to manage I would of thought, it's possible it could be failing, but it's certainly a quality unit so I would not expect it to have any problems, if it had been a weak and\or no name PSU then it would of been highly likely to be the cause, but now I fear it is something else, but still worth checking for trouble shooting purposes if you can, a meter is the most reliable way to check, compare it to the charts and make sure it's within the range specified, I have had a PSU test good on a tester, but failed on the chart comparison using a meter.

Stupid question time, have the cards got the power leads (if applicable) connected from the PSU ? I assume at that spec they should require at least 4 or maybe 6 pin connectors, if they aren't getting enough power that will cause problems, so check these are connected securely in the cards.
But also take note if they are using normal 4 pin molex connectors, as opposed to dedicated card power leads from the PSU (most modern ones have them), because if using molex leads there can be an accumulative affect on them, if they are using these let me know what is in each lead, if it's not using molex leads then this is irrelevant.

Now to test another possible theory, try each card in it's own right without the other attached, see if the system behaves with a single card, if it does then it points to an SLI issue, you would need to check the cards details and make sure they are the same make, model and most important firmware versions, there are variations that will still work (don't know specific details), but for optimum performance they need to be the same, or performance can be affected, or they just wont work, also check if the board has a card to turn to tell it to use SLI, or a BIOS setting to enable SLI, or check you're bridge that connects the cards is seated right, see if any of this helps.
Hey sorry so its been awhile. Sorry its been busy this thanksgiving. So I did the gpu checks and both worked just fine individually. Also the pins on the gpus are put on tightly I've been running my desktop fine for awhile now but now I've been experiencing more problems. This is what normally happens, everything will run fine but after awhile my computer experiences errors. I can post some on my event logs Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [November 2010]. The Service Control Manager tried to take a corrective action (Restart the service) after the unexpected termination of the Windows Modules Installer service, but this action failed with the following error: An instance of the service is already running. The Windows Modules Installer service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 120000 milliseconds: Restart the service. The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 100 milliseconds: Restart the service. The Windows Event Log service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service. The DHCP Client service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 120000 milliseconds: Restart the service. The Windows Audio service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service. The windows audio service was the first to get the error so I figure it spawns from there. I don't know what to do, I've tried to look up solutions but I haven't found any solid solutions. I looked at other forums to see if anyone has had the same problem as mine but it seems no one has encountered any situation close to mine. I'm returning my ram and hopefully maybe that might be the problem but thats me being hopeful. Again thanks for taking a look at this post
NP, I have forgotten what free time is like lol, but we do what we can. Right the fact each card works fine on it's own suggests to me it is an SLI issue, or to a lesser extent power if the PSU is failing, the most likely issues in SLI will be the drivers, configuration (system switches etc), or card mismatch, as mentioned previously they need to be the same (make\model\firmware) ideally to work, although some get lucky running variations in cards, but they still have to be close in spec, but all the system errors are concerning me, I am worried there is more than 1 issue here, and one could be influencing the other, causing us to go round in circles. What I suggest for now is work with just the 1 card in, lets see if we can get the system behaving before we throw curve balls at it lol, if you could give us a system breakdown (make\model\amount etc), eg board, ram etc, we can look at individual parts spec to see what we have to work with, and look up what it's settings should be etc. Now the errors mentioned are a bit vague, if you could do the following and get us some more precise info it will help to see what is going on, so to get further details do the following:- 1. Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update or Microsoft Update. 2. On the Windows Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site, click Review your update history. A window opens that shows all the updates that have been installed or that have failed to install on the computer. 3. In the Status column of this window, locate the update that failed to install, and then click the red X. A new window opens that displays the installation error code. Post the latest errors back here, where the error is repeated (identical) just say how many times it's mentioned (approx), you don't need to go back to the 1st entry, just far enough so when these issues began, or that we have enough to aid troubleshooting.
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't read that you have specifically downloaded and installed device drivers for your audio and video, etc. Nor did I notice that you installed a fresh chipset driver for the MoBo. You may need Microsoft installer 5.0 due to your Windows 7 OS.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI