This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Crashes To Desktop With 4bit Colors

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi

I've finally gotten myself a new computer, and have built it myself.
Well, it has worked excellent for about a week, but now I have some weird problems when playing games.
Sometimes it works without a hitch, and sometimes it crashes as wild.


Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16441)

I have ran virus scans "in and out" (does it everyday <_< ), defragmented the harddrives, clensed the registry and temp files…
Updated all drivers (I've tried several versions of the videocard drivers, and found out that the one which followed with it is best).
Most of the computers temp (in idle) is around 30 degrees Celcius and the videocard 50. Under load it never comes over 50, and the videocard 80 (the videocar is made for these high temperatures).
I've ran
sfc /scannow
and all that I could think of.

Sadly I forgot to take a screenshot, thus I've just restarted it.

This happens with all games, so its not because of bugs in the game.
The games I've tried is FSX, Battlefield 2, Warcraft III and Oblivion,  All of them are fully updated.

Can't think of more to say right now.

EDIT: I thought of PCpitstop now.
Heres the TechExpress link:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=FEXBHWHJ3FVSY6TW

As you may notice, I run loads of programs at startup now.
Well, I use most of them on an even bacis, so I think I'll keep it that way. There were no problems a week ago with all of them loading up, so I don't think that's the problem.
i think its the heat. 80c seems way to high to me.you sure the fan on the card is working and the heat sink is secure? you have case fans and good ventilation? shelf life

i think its the heat. 80c seems way to high to me.you sure the fan on the card is working and the heat sink is secure? you have case fans and good ventilation?

shelf life


Well this might be, but after what I've seen it seems to be a pretty cold actually. Its a XFX 8800 GTS 320MB


Here you can see that the card is around 60 degrees Celcius and mine is 50, but in load I watched the logs, and it's usually around 72 degrees Celsius.

The case is a CoolerMaster Stacker 831 with all stock fans (1 in the front blowing cold air in and 1 in the back blowing air out), and (for me) it holds a pretty cool temp.
All cables is done as neat as I could, exept from the S-ATA cables, because they don't like too much bending.
I had a nice experience the week before where we had a "work week" at school, and I built computers in my countrys (Norway) biggest online store, so I am pretty confident (sorry for my english) that the hardware is plugged correctly.

But, I'm always open for suggestions ^_^
I'm really hoping for some responses now
In the meantime I found something interesting.
When the computer crashed last time, it got into 4bit mode but then jumped back to normal.
I then took a DXDiag, and found out that directx 3d acceleration didn't work.
Because the text length is limited I'll upload the files.
DxDiag
When I restarted the computer, it worked again but still one .dll file was missing.
DxDiag2
Then I tried re-installing directx april 2007, and the file is no longer missing
DxDiag3
I'll try playing for some time now to check if any problems occur

hi Unox,

directX 10:

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/About…/DirectX10.aspx


Hi Shelf Life

I don't have Vista, so I suppose I can't use DX10?

thats one nice CPU you have.

Thanks, I thought the E6600 would do fine, and it can easilly be OC to 3,6Ghz so I won't spend LOADS of money on the extrem version.

You know, finally I can go braging about my computer :D


As much as I've gotten to play, I haven't noticed the problem, but I think I'll play some more before I "declare" to be over.
hi Unox, you are right, directX 10 is only for the vista platform. thats one sweet video card you got. i wont say what mine is. shelf life
Hi again Shelf Life I've only experienced the problem in Battlefield 2 now, so it's gone from the other games. I also noticed some sudden freezes no matter what I was doing on the computer, but that seems to have gone away today. When I play battlefield 2, and it crashes to 4bit mode, it quickly reverst back to normal and there's no longer any directx problems after it. So since this only is for Batlefield 2, should I make another topic or keep it in here?

hi Unox,

you can stay in this topic if you want but i think you would be better off in a hardware forum. like for nvidia cards. or try a game forum. unless somebody reads this and can offer suggestions.

some links, insight, not necessarily a fix:

http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114163

http://forums.civfanatics.com/archive/inde…p/t-143744.html

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?


Hi Shelf Life

I thought it would be better to go to another type of forum too, I of course googled alot before I posted this topic and found many that had the same problem, but no solution.
I just want some insights, do you think it's because of hardware failiure or software failiure?
Well, it's been some time since last time now. I sent the videocard on service when I also was getting artifacts, today I've gotten it back and played BF2. So far it have been no problems, and I suspect that it was a hardware failiure after all. I just wanted to say thanks for everything, Shelf Life :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI