Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Acer Laptop will not turn on

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 say-no-2-trojans

say-no-2-trojans

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:16 PM

My son's Acer Aspire 5520 will not turn on - when you press the power button, the lights come on, you hear the fan start then the drive power up, then a couple of clicks and the lights go off. This then repeats (minus the fan) and keeps doing the same routine until you remove the battery (as this is the only way to stop it). I have tried a suggestion I've seen on other sites where, after removing power cord and battery, you hold the power button down for 30-45 seconds and then connect again, but this achieves nothing. Can anyone help before I turn to the 'experts' on the high street? Thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Jkc73

Jkc73

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Malware Removal, Tech Support

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:12 AM

Hello say-no-2-trojans :wavey:

Please try booting the machine in Safe mode.
As the PC starts Tap F8 - see if you get a menu appear - if so, select, with the arrow keys, safemode - see if that boots
Also you could try booting a virtual operating system - see if that loads at all - Ubuntu

UBUNTU
It may be possible to boot from another Operating System
This will at least test the Hardware

If you have another PC with a cdwriter and spare CD
goto http://www.ubuntu.com/ and download the ISO

full details are here http://www.howtogeek...ndows-computer/
click on the image "download ubuntu"
Select a location
then begin download
Save the file to your desktop. Easier to remember where you saved it, so you can find it to create the bootable CD.

You have to use the ISO to create a bootable CD
Please use this free program http://www.imgburn.com/

When the UBUNTU CD boots - you will see the following options

• Try ubuntu without any change to your computer
  • Install ubuntu
  • Check CD for defects
  • Test memory
  • Boot from first hard disk.
Use ONLY OPTION 1 "Try ubuntu without any change to your computer" ONLY this option this will run from the CD and not install onto your harddrive - be careful, if you do install onto the PC - you will wipe the data and software OFF your hard drive.., so repeat only use option 1
Now you should see a UBUNTU desktop
This at least proves the main parts of the PC are working :)

Please post any results here for the Tech Team, thanks :thumbup:

Regards,
Jkc73
~ Jkc73
--------------------

Posted Image
Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.
How to Prevent Malware: by ©miekiemoes
"I do most of my reading when writing".

Enjoy life, before it enjoys you!

Due to real life commitments, I may be unable to respond!

#3 say-no-2-trojans

say-no-2-trojans

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:04 PM

The laptop will not get this far - the lights and fan literally come on for less than 1 second then go off again.

#4 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

can you remove the battery and just leave the power lead in and try to restart it now, does it still do the same thing as when the battery is connected or does nothing happen at all now..

if it does nothing this would make me think there is a bad connection or something wrong with power supply, and your battery is dead and hasn't been getting re-charged.

:popcorn:

sorry missed this part in your post

This then repeats (minus the fan) and keeps doing the same routine until you remove the battery (as this is the only way to stop it).

which would lead me to believe the problem lays elsewhere.. :blush:

Edited by terry1966, 10 November 2010 - 06:27 PM.

#5 say-no-2-trojans

say-no-2-trojans

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:59 AM

Tried it without the battery and it does exactly the same thing

#6 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:13 PM

did you try the live cd jkc mentioned in the above post, if you can boot that and get to a desktop, then that would more or less rule out memory,cpu,motherboard problems and lead us to believe the hard drive has failed. :popcorn:

#7 say-no-2-trojans

say-no-2-trojans

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:33 PM

Tried to download the Vista version (as this is what OS my son's laptop uses) but it wouldn't let me as I am running XP

#8 Jkc73

Jkc73

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Malware Removal, Tech Support

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:19 PM

Ubuntu is it's own OS(operating system), as is Windows, regardless the flavor.(XP, Vista or 7)

Tried to download the Vista version (as this is what OS my son's laptop uses) but it wouldn't let me as I am running XP

Please try these instructions and let us know if you have any further issues.

UBUNTU
It may be possible to boot from another Operating System
This will at least test the Hardware

If you have another PC with a cdwriter and spare CD
goto http://www.ubuntu.com/ and download the ISO

full details are here http://www.howtogeek...ndows-computer/
click on the image "download ubuntu"
Select a location
then begin download
Save the file to your desktop. Easier to remember where you saved it, so you can find it to create the bootable CD.

You have to use the ISO to create a bootable CD
Please use this free program http://www.imgburn.com/

When the UBUNTU CD boots - you will see the following options

• Try ubuntu without any change to your computer
  • Install ubuntu
  • Check CD for defects
  • Test memory
  • Boot from first hard disk.
Use ONLY OPTION 1 "Try ubuntu without any change to your computer" ONLY this option this will run from the CD and not install onto your harddrive - be careful, if you do install onto the PC - you will wipe the data and software OFF your hard drive.., so repeat only use option 1
Now you should see a UBUNTU desktop
This at least proves the main parts of the PC are working :)

Edit: Download Ubuntu Netbook Edition create the bootable cd using Imgburn

Regards,
Jkc73 :)

Edited by Jkc73, 11 November 2010 - 08:16 PM.

~ Jkc73
--------------------

Posted Image
Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.
How to Prevent Malware: by ©miekiemoes
"I do most of my reading when writing".

Enjoy life, before it enjoys you!

Due to real life commitments, I may be unable to respond!

#9 say-no-2-trojans

say-no-2-trojans

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:32 PM

Have tried this and there is no change at all to the computer

#10 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:55 AM

one thing i'd try now is to connect your laptop to an external monitor then start laptop, close top, and see if you get anything on the monitor, not holding out much hope for this tho and,

i'm afraid to say if it won't boot a live cd, and you can't even get a bios screen, then the problem is likely going to be a serious hardware one.

usually the way we'd try and narrow a hardware fault is to get you to take the pc apart and swap parts with known working ones, but with a laptop this is way more difficult, and believe me it's not easy for a pc when it comes to cpu and motherboard.

so in my opinion your problem is probably one of three things,(could be something else tho)

motherboard, cpu, or ram, and your options now are..
1:- if it is still under warranty to contact the makers for a replacement/repair.
2:- buy a new laptop
3:- take it to a local shop to be repaired.

depending on it's specs, age and original cost, it's not usually cost effective to get it repaired if it's cpu or motherboard so i'd suspect your best option is number 2 if out of warranty,
but by all means take it to a repair shop and ask for a diagnostic report with a full and fixed quote for repair first.

another thing it could be is a faulty bios,
and the original problem

when you press the power button, the lights come on, you hear the fan start then the drive power up, then a couple of clicks and the lights go off. This then repeats (minus the fan) and keeps doing the same routine until you remove the battery (as this is the only way to stop it).

does sound like one that happens if the motherboards bios has become corrupt, rare on it's own(but possible) and usually a failed bios update attempt.

anyway whatever the problem is i'm afraid it's not one that your likely to find a fix for without taking the laptop apart, and even then it's going to be very difficult to narrow down without having a special diagnostic hardware card or a complete list of spare parts to swap out.

:popcorn: