Software
This is driving me nuts!
28 min read
paws
Hi Astabi, interesting fix ..well done!
and thanks also for posting the "disclaimer"….. much appreciated.
Regards
paws
Lee
This was an interesting read, thanks for all the info!
I recently had an intel main board with a video driver that wouldn't support the native resolution of the LCD monitor I use.
turned out that the driver came with an ini file, I edited this, actually inserted a line to add my resolution, and it worked like a charm!
I now had the option to select the resolution I needed to have a sharp crisp display.![]()
My own driver update!
It might be worth a look to see if you can do something similar.
Hi Astabi,
Well thatr might be worth a try for Zoe.
Where would the ini file be and can you post a copy of the actual edit please?
Zoe has just nuked her W7 due to a very nasty rootkited (I'm sure of it) piece of Melware. It started out as an occasional pop-up and from there it just got worse until she was unable to boot into W7 at all.
I tried a lot of fixes but no success and I guess she should of went to the Melware section here before angrily nuking. She has to do a pave now, but has been sulking on XP for a few days and I'm not sure when she will be ready to re-install W7.
I did warn her about those Peer to Peer sites she uses
Cheers,
Lee
Astabi
Hello Lee,
In this case, the file was in the Graphics sub-directory off the intel drivers' main directory. the file is called igxp32.inf
Section in question was:
[NonEDIDMode_AddSwSettings]
HKR,, TotalDTDCount, %REG_DWORD%, 5 ; This shows number of DTDs to be used. ; 0–>Disable the feature.
;Following keys have 20 bytes (18 byte DTD + 2 Byte flags).
HKR,, DTD_1,%REG_BINARY%, 01,1D,80,18,71,1C,16,20,58,2C,1A,00,00,00,00,00,00,86,37,01 ;[removed]
HKR,, DTD_2, %REG_BINARY%, 01,1D,80,D0,72,1C,16,20,10,2C,1A,80,00,00,00,00,00,86,37, 01 ;[removed]
HKR,, DTD_3,%REG_BINARY%, 01,1D,00,BC,52,D0,1E,20,B8,28,25,40,00,00,00,00,00,04,37, 01 ;[removed]-interlaced
HKR,, DTD_4, %REG_BINARY%, 01,1D,00,72,51,D0,1E,20,6E,28,25,00,00,00,00,00,00,06,37,01 ;[removed]-interlaced
HKR,, DTD_5,%REG_BINARY%, 97,29,A0,D0,51,84,20,30,50,98,13,00,00,00,00,00,00,1C,37,01 ;1440x900@60 this line was added,
The info on how to do this is right HERE
Thanks,
Astabi
In this case, the file was in the Graphics sub-directory off the intel drivers' main directory. the file is called igxp32.inf
Section in question was:
[NonEDIDMode_AddSwSettings]
HKR,, TotalDTDCount, %REG_DWORD%, 5 ; This shows number of DTDs to be used. ; 0–>Disable the feature.
;Following keys have 20 bytes (18 byte DTD + 2 Byte flags).
HKR,, DTD_1,%REG_BINARY%, 01,1D,80,18,71,1C,16,20,58,2C,1A,00,00,00,00,00,00,86,37,01 ;[removed]
HKR,, DTD_2, %REG_BINARY%, 01,1D,80,D0,72,1C,16,20,10,2C,1A,80,00,00,00,00,00,86,37, 01 ;[removed]
HKR,, DTD_3,%REG_BINARY%, 01,1D,00,BC,52,D0,1E,20,B8,28,25,40,00,00,00,00,00,04,37, 01 ;[removed]-interlaced
HKR,, DTD_4, %REG_BINARY%, 01,1D,00,72,51,D0,1E,20,6E,28,25,00,00,00,00,00,00,06,37,01 ;[removed]-interlaced
HKR,, DTD_5,%REG_BINARY%, 97,29,A0,D0,51,84,20,30,50,98,13,00,00,00,00,00,00,1C,37,01 ;1440x900@60 this line was added,
The info on how to do this is right HERE
Thanks,
Astabi
Lee
Hi Astabi,
Thanks for that info. which is a real nifty trick to know
I have already put it to Zoe, but she says she has already been down that EDID route and it's a no go with her display stuck on 800x600 in W7. Adding-in a custom resolution that is not generally available, is not the problem. Getting the standard available resolutions is the problem.
I really don't think it is a driver issue, but an issue with her DDR3 intel board set-up that's part of her new PC + W7 (XP has no problems). She needs a more modern card than her 9800GT which I tried out in my DDR2 AMD set-up with no resolution issues in W7.
Cheers,
Lee
zoe65
Hi .
thanks to Astabi for posting the article.
I am impressed that you found this one in particular as it made sense of alot of so much different info that I have collected over the months. I was never quite sure about why ,in all rationality, why the resolution just wouldn't be recognized (and still aren't !)
I have only read it through once but the EDID bytes make a little more sense..
Also, I wanted to let Nahumi know that I found a DVI cable and bought an DVI- VGA adaptor so that I had the cable going direct from the card and the adaptor at the monitor end. (in contrast to my VGA cable with the DVI-VGA adaptor at the card end.
However. no joy and there was no recognition at all from the comp.. back to the VGA cable..!
As I haven't got W7 in at the moment , new developments in the 2701st episode of "The Monitor Saga" will be put on hold.

Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI