I'm looking to buy a new gaming computer. After quite a few hours of extensive reading over the past couple of weeks on how some hardware works, reading reviews, opinions etc… I've almost made up my mind on getting the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…3-122-_-Product . My current machine has 500gb 7200 rpm Sata Hardrive, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, 450W PSU, Amd athlon 7750 dual-core proccessor, and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…0-187-_-Product is my motherboard, Windows Vista 64 bit. I bought the iBuypower rig as a package from newegg about a year ago and it's given me some problems most likely something with the ram. Crashes on games and BSOD so i've decided to upgrade! . I've always went with AMD processors before but the lower end computer I have has an intel 2 core at 1.86 ghz and it seems to have less heating issues and problems. I live in the valley in CA so heat is a large issue here. So i'm looking for some reliable opinions here about which way to go. I play World Of Warcraft but am waiting to start playing again when Cataclysm is out. I spend some of my time on Lotro which is graphics demanding. I also plan on playing Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Star Wars:The old republic. I want a machine that won't just handle but play my games maxed w/ no problems and hiccups and the games coming out over the next couple (2-3) years before I have to upgrade it. So should I A. Get the gateway? B. Should I get a lower end machine for cheaper that I can upgrade?
I'm pretty settled on the set up of;
An Intel core (I want a quad core such as the i7 but I believe holding up that standard may be uneccesary for gaming) though i'm open to AMD if you can explain to me why AMD over Intel.
When it comes to gaming PC's, it all comes down to budget. If you can afford to spend a lot of money, go for the Gateway. It'll save you trouble and time.
But
If you buy a computer now, it will be out of date in 6 months. That's just the way things go in the hardware world. If you want to keep your rig up to date, you'll be looking at spending between $300 and $500 a year.
With that in mind, an AMD based machine may be a better option. Not only is the initial cost lower, but AMD is a favourite with gamers because it offers a very simple upgrade path. When they bring a new chip out it's a simple case of taking the old one out, and putting the new one in. You can only really do that with AMD.
Your other option is to build your own machine. If you have a big budget you can build yourself a monster gaming rig.
Like I said, it's down to what you really want and what your budget is.
I understand the basics of the hardware and have fully taken apart a whole computer piece by piece. I know I need to find a tower, then a motherboard depending on what type of CPU I'll be using and make sure they're compatible, then buy the RAM, GPU, Hardrive, Heat-sink, CPU fans etc…I am mainly worried about figuring out how big of a PSU I should get depending on the specific items I pick out. I wouldn't know how to tell and I'm not sure I could set up a very efficient airflow either. So if I could make it through setting up an efficient airflow and figuring out where to plug what I would be fine. After all the hardware was assembled I wouldn't know what to do. I don't think I can just put the machine together, turn it on, and install the OS. Could it really be that easy? What about other software?
Despite what I just said computer hardware really intrigues me and I would love to build my own PC but considering the time it would take and the fact I have no room for error worries me. If I buy a pre bought set up I can have othesr take care of any errors because I can get a warranty on it. My budget is ~1300 USD.
Once you've worked out what you need, it's really not that difficult to build a fully working rig and get it up and running. If you keep away from bargain cases, airflow really shouldn't be a problem. Gaming cases by well known manufacturers will already have good airflows and the manual will advise you how and where to place any further fans.
As for putting it all together, it doesn't take that much time. You have the be careful with Electro-static discharge when installing it, and other than being very careful with placing the CPU, you should be fine if you follow the instructions. Once it's all plugged in it's a simple case of putting the Windows/Linux Installation disc into the DVD drive and following the on-screen instructions.
My normal advice to someone who has never built a system before is to buy a pre-built machine and upgrade it bit by bit before taking the plunge and building from scratch. If you've taken a system apart before, however, then you should know enough to put everything together.
But, if you're feeling really unsure about it but still want to have that self-build experience, grab yourself a cheaper entry gaming rig and upgrade it over a few months. You'll get the same satisfaction without taking all the risk.
I read the forums and looked up some videos about how to do it and now i'm leaning more towards building one from scratch. The manuals from the individual parts should provide me with any information I need. My last and only concern is there's no warranty and if it breaks I would be plain out of luck.
If you have a standard contents insurance your PC should be covered for accidental breakages. Some individual parts would have a manufacturer's warranty and the retailer is obliged to replace anything if it breaks after 3 months. (At least that's how it is in the UK, not sure about the US. Might be worth checking your Statutory Rights.)
At any rate a manufacturer's warranty from Dell, for example, wouldn't cover any software glitches / bugs / breakdowns. So in essence you get exactly the same cover regardless. As long as you don't overclock anything, you should be fine in terms of cover.
So i've decided that instead of the gateway i'm going to build my own because i'll get more out of it. And the more I read about what I should get for gaming the more confused I get. I'm not worried about budget too much. So could someone please recommend some stuff for me? I've decided to go with an AMD processor I do not plan to overclock it I have no experience with it and I won't need it for how I use my computer. A question I have is should I go with Athlon or Phenom and why(I am decided on a quad core)? , My GPU will be a ATI radeon 5850, it will be just the one card. No cross-firing. Supporting only one monitor. I'm not totally sure what mobo I want either since I cannot decide on CPU yet. I've lowered how much RAM I want to 6 gb @1300~ mhz. As I said before my budget is around ~1400.
When it comes to choosing components, a lot of it comes down to budget and personal preference. The choices you have made so far are good, but try to follow this checklist :
Basics: 1. Computer Case 2. Motherboard 3. CPU 4. RAM 5. Hard Drive 6. Graphics Card 7. PSU 8. Optical Drive - DVD/CD Drive 9. WiFi Card (optional) 10. Aftermarket CPU Cooler (optional 11. Operating System (Essential!)
Then you also need to consider : 1. Screen 2. Keyboard / Mouse 3. Speakers
The Phenom II 955 is a nice CPU. I've got one myself and I've never had a problem. If you want you can overclock it to match the Phenom II 965, but to be honest I don't think you would notice the difference.
The motherboard , RAM and cooler also look good to me. You just need to flesh out the rest of the list and then you'll be ready to build.
Considering that budget isn't really a problem, don't go for anything less than a Phenom II. Newer games will require a better CPU as well as a better GPU. Shattered Horizon, for example, hardly plays with anything less than a a quad core. Be careful when you choose a case though. Airflow is very very important when you're ramming it full of high power components. The faster the components, the hotter they run.
Let me know what the rest of your list will be and I'll see if I can find any better/cheaper alternatives.
Well i'm back and i've done tons of reading. First of all now I know I can't have an AMD machine with 6GB because AMD runs dual channel . I will be purchasing my computer in September because I am moving in a couple of days and must find a place and settle in first. The build I have come down to is
CPU: Phenom ii x4 965 BE or a pii x2 555 BE
Motherboard: Msi 870a-G54
RAM: 4 GB 2GBx2 DDR3 1333 Mhz @ 1.5v
GPU: Sticking with the ATI 5850
PSU: Either a 650 or 750 Corsair cmpsu TX
As of now though I cannot put my finger on what case I want. I know that I want it to have a side fan and fans on the top of the case with the PSU mounted at the bottom. Perhaps room for some front mount fans. So depending on what case I get I may throw a fan upgrade in the case.