PA-28 Pilot
Topic Starter
Hey everyone!
So I currently own a store brought HP computer, it has a Q6600 2.44GHz processor running 5GB of ram on windows vista 64-bit. My computer originally came with Inter Graphics media accelerator but that thing just sucked so I decided to upgrade to a 8800GT which also required me to upgrade my power unit as well. Once they both arrived I had my friend help me install them since this was my first time doing something like that, this is about the only computer knowledge I have. Anyway I'm a flight simmer, I currently use FS9 but that is slowly starting to fade away, almost every add on developer is switching to the newer version FSX, my computer cannot handle this game what so ever so I decided its finally time for me to upgrade! I'm currently hoping to spend around $1,000, I'm willing to go a little over but the less I have to spend the better. I have picked out some items on my own however my main probelm is picking out a motherboard, I know about the right socket and to make sure its compatible with my RAM however i'm still having trouble picking out the right on, I have no idea which one to choose. Anyway this is what I have so far -
CPU -
AMD Phenom II X4 965 black quad-core @ 3.4GHz $180
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…3-727-_-Product
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T six-core @ 2.8 GHz $200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…3-851-_-Product
Intel i7 930 quad core @ 2.8 GHz - $280
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…5-225-_-Product
I'm looking between these three CPU's, according to videobenchmark the intel is the best followed by the 1055T, however my main concern is the low 2.8GHz, I have no clue about overclocking and I read that some motherboards can bring problems when you attempt this, this is the main reason why I can't pick a motherboard. Anways I'm looking for a processor which can BRING me the best performance, weather this is through overclocking or whatever.
Motherboard
As I explained above I don't know which motherboard to go with, I want to have one which will allow me to overclock easily, I'm aware that AMD's don't overclock as well as Intel but I still have no idea which motherboard to pick.
RAM
I'm looking for 4GB of DDR3 ram, if I go with a 1600 duel channel motherboard i plan on going with the G.skill ripsaw series 4GB for $100 on newegg, I choose this since it had the best rating on newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…1-277-_-Product
HDD
Western Digital Caviar blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7,200RPM 3.0GB/s
I choose to go with only 640GB since this is all I need, I only plan to keep games on here while I will keep pics, etc… on my laptop, besides I can always upgrade later.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…6-218-_-Product
Video Card
This is a question, if I go with an AMD processor would a ATI video card give me better performance then a nvidia graphics card? How about a intel processor with a nvdia card? Anyways here are my current choices
Asus ENGTX 465 1GB @ $250 with a $20 mail-in-rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…k=Asus%20465GTX
Gigabyte GTX 460 (fermi) 1GB @ $230.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…5-333-_-Product
According to benchmark tests the 465 out performed the 460 however I read online that the 460 fermi card is better then the 465 since it has a newer chip and it runs cooler, is this true?
PSU
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W for $110.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…9-006-_-Product
I'm sorry for all the questions but i'm having some trouble hear picking out a motherboard/ cpu/ video card combo, any help would be appreciated.
So I currently own a store brought HP computer, it has a Q6600 2.44GHz processor running 5GB of ram on windows vista 64-bit. My computer originally came with Inter Graphics media accelerator but that thing just sucked so I decided to upgrade to a 8800GT which also required me to upgrade my power unit as well. Once they both arrived I had my friend help me install them since this was my first time doing something like that, this is about the only computer knowledge I have. Anyway I'm a flight simmer, I currently use FS9 but that is slowly starting to fade away, almost every add on developer is switching to the newer version FSX, my computer cannot handle this game what so ever so I decided its finally time for me to upgrade! I'm currently hoping to spend around $1,000, I'm willing to go a little over but the less I have to spend the better. I have picked out some items on my own however my main probelm is picking out a motherboard, I know about the right socket and to make sure its compatible with my RAM however i'm still having trouble picking out the right on, I have no idea which one to choose. Anyway this is what I have so far -
CPU -
AMD Phenom II X4 965 black quad-core @ 3.4GHz $180
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…3-727-_-Product
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T six-core @ 2.8 GHz $200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…3-851-_-Product
Intel i7 930 quad core @ 2.8 GHz - $280
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…5-225-_-Product
I'm looking between these three CPU's, according to videobenchmark the intel is the best followed by the 1055T, however my main concern is the low 2.8GHz, I have no clue about overclocking and I read that some motherboards can bring problems when you attempt this, this is the main reason why I can't pick a motherboard. Anways I'm looking for a processor which can BRING me the best performance, weather this is through overclocking or whatever.
Motherboard
As I explained above I don't know which motherboard to go with, I want to have one which will allow me to overclock easily, I'm aware that AMD's don't overclock as well as Intel but I still have no idea which motherboard to pick.
RAM
I'm looking for 4GB of DDR3 ram, if I go with a 1600 duel channel motherboard i plan on going with the G.skill ripsaw series 4GB for $100 on newegg, I choose this since it had the best rating on newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…1-277-_-Product
HDD
Western Digital Caviar blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7,200RPM 3.0GB/s
I choose to go with only 640GB since this is all I need, I only plan to keep games on here while I will keep pics, etc… on my laptop, besides I can always upgrade later.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…6-218-_-Product
Video Card
This is a question, if I go with an AMD processor would a ATI video card give me better performance then a nvidia graphics card? How about a intel processor with a nvdia card? Anyways here are my current choices
Asus ENGTX 465 1GB @ $250 with a $20 mail-in-rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…k=Asus%20465GTX
Gigabyte GTX 460 (fermi) 1GB @ $230.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…5-333-_-Product
According to benchmark tests the 465 out performed the 460 however I read online that the 460 fermi card is better then the 465 since it has a newer chip and it runs cooler, is this true?
PSU
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W for $110.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…9-006-_-Product
I'm sorry for all the questions but i'm having some trouble hear picking out a motherboard/ cpu/ video card combo, any help would be appreciated.