This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Trojans, Malware, and who knows what else.

45 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Satchfan, ESET just completed, and turned back no results. Thank you again for your continuing support, and I do apologize for prior delays.

Satchfan,

I ran the AppRemover, and it turned up no results whatsoever, least of all McAfee. Out of curiousity, I searched the computer for files with McAfee in the name. It found a 6.14kb folder containing a few tiny files, could this be what the scans turned up?

Also, in regards to the 30-second timer running when the computer started up, it no longer waits 30 seconds, and under "Start Recovery Console" it has a line saying "do not do this (debugger enabled)". To the best of my knowledge, I don't have any debuggers running?

Realizing I had forgotten to remove ESET from my previous usage, I did so per your previous instructions, and am now re-downloading, updating and preparing to run ESET. I'll post back with the log (if any).

Yet again, thanks for your help, Satchfan! I just wanted to confirm that you did in fact see this post from the very bottom of page 4 of this thread.

If you did, and are formulating a reply, I'm very sorry for inundating you with a duplicate post! I had gone back and edited the above post, and am just unsure as to whether you saw it or not.

Thanks again!
mediaklepto

Good news about the Eset scan being clear. It confirmed what I had thought, that your computer appears to be clean.

Thank you again for your continuing support,

You are welcome.


As long as your computer seems to be running well, please do the following to tidy up your computer.

Uninstall ComboFix

Follow these steps to make sure that Combofix is completely uninstalled• Click START then RUN
• Now type Combofix /uninstall in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the /, it needs to be there.
🖼Click to load external image (Posted Image)
• Once it's finished uninstalling itself you will receive a message saying Combofix was uninstalled successfully.
===================================================

I suggested previously that you run SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes’ AntiMalware on a regular basis, probably weekly. I see no sign of Malwarebytes’ on your computer and must remind you that this is one of the best free programs for detecting and removing a great deal of the bad stuff.

I suggest you re-install it: ou can download it from here

===================================================

You also had ATF Cleaner on your computer previously but I don’t see it now. This is another good tool to use regularly to empty your temporary files and restore quite a lot of hard druve space.

You can download it the the link below:

ATF Cleaner


Good luck and safe computing mediaklepto

Regards

Satchfan
Satchfan, Odd, about you saying MalwareBytes and ATF don't show up. ATF Cleaner is on the desktop, and MalwareBytes' folder is in Program Files, I just located them both, to be sure. Other than that, I'll clean up the other programs, thank you very much!
No big deal, I'm just glad it IS, in fact, on there. I wonder about ATF cleaner though, as I've run it a few times since you mentioning it doesn't seem to be there. It seems to be working just fine. My husband has been using the computer over the last couple of days, and as of yet has not seemed to have any issues. I believe he intends on running all three scans (SUPERAntiSpyware, MalwareBytes, and Avast!) either tomorrow or on Saturday, so I'll be sure and let you know if any of them turn back anything. Also, I was just wondering what you thought about this business with McAfee? My husband mentioned finding a folder with McAfee in its name somewhere on the computer, with a few small files in it…I have no idea what it could be, so might that be what the scans are returning, somehow? Thanks again!
Mediaklepto

I wonder about ATF cleaner though…. It seems to be working just fine.

– that’s good

I believe he intends on running all three scans (SUPERAntiSpyware, MalwareBytes, and Avast!) either tomorrow or on Saturday, so I'll be sure and let you know if any of them turn back anything

I could tell from the previous logs and scans that your computer is clean, so there is no need to send the results of the scans you intend to run.


As for the stray McAfee files, if you know which folder they are on, they can safely be deleted. They are however, not likely to interfere with the running of your computer and can be left alone.

If you cannot locate them, we could if you wish run another OTL scan to see if they can be located.

Please let me know if you have managed to delete them

Satchfan

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI