This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] Trojan.Virtumonde

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello everyone, Last nite I was reacquainted with a NASTY virus which has been giving me hell (excuse my French), that I thought I would never meet again. If the topic title wasn't any obvious enough, the foe I am referring to is VIRTUMONDE. Just to give you a slight anecdote; the computer I am using at the moment was built by my own hands approximately 2 months ago. I installed a fresh copy of Windows XP (SP2) along with any appropriate drivers to have the system running as it should. Everything was fine until my (somewhat) trusty SpyBot program informed me that something was creating .dll files and BHO Helper files on my system. Later I came to find out it was Virtumonde. I had setup Spybot to block any alerted attempt of this miscreant running its course. Which annoyingly had SpyBot repeatedly show me multiple, consecutive, non-stop prompts that Registry changes were being denied. Long story short, at that time I did research on the web to find all I could about this virus. I used every virus scanner I could from Norton Anti-Virus '07, Giant Anti-Spyware, Spyware Doctor, SpyBot etc. Even downloading Symantec VundoFix application or Attribune's VundoFix programs – ALL to no avail. Nothing worked successfully and it had got to the point where both my web browsers (Internet Explorer & Firefox) would cease to function by either not connecting to the internet or not opening it all. My solution? Formating my entire computer. Not once, not twice, but 10 times. Yes, I am not exaggerating. Evreytime that I installed my new OS, Virtumonde will rear its ugly head for more blood. I understand now how I received this unpleasant surprise. I narrowed it down from some trial Nero Burning Rom software I had downloaded online. Once I deleted that software completely (before installing it) Virtumonde no longer had a host. Since that time my computer has been running silky smooth. That was 2 months ago. Virtumonde has come back with a vengeance and I have been up all night trying to rid of it again. Using VundoFix applications in Windows Safe Mode, these VundoFix programs do not even recognize, ironically enough SpyBot does, and when it does remove what it detects, it never manages to remove the virus completely. As opposed to reformating my computer for the 11th time, I have come to you all. I have skimmed your forums and forum boards alike, and it seems like you guys are the real experts when it comes to these situations. I know your teams are here to volunteer, but I would appreciate if anyone could guide me step-by-step in the right direction. Please aid me in putting to rest this nightmare! Who knows? I may even name my first born after you… (with all seriousness, dire help is wanted) - Likki
Does this make me Tom Cruise then :P

CLICK HERE to download the HijackThis Installer:
  • Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
  • Double-click on HJTInstall.exe to run the program.
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis.
  • Accept the license agreement by clicking the "I Accept" button.
  • Click on the "Do a system scan and save a log file" button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
  • Click "Save log" to save the log file and then the log will open in Notepad.
  • Click on "Edit -> Select All" then click on "Edit -> Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
  • Come back here to this thread and paste the log in your next reply.
  • Do NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet! Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI