This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Can't Find network.

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi redwingsfan81, welcome to WhatTheTech.

I read through your thread on SpyBot but nowhere did I see mention of the make or model number of your computer nor whether it's a Laptop(most likely) or a Desktop. Can you provide that information please?

I see you're running Vista. Let's try deleting the Wireless Device from Device Manager then reboot the system. Vista will rediscover the Wireless Device and reinstall the necessary driver. This often fixes a problem like this (though not always).

Press Winkey+R (next to the Ctrl key on the left side of the keyboard) to open the Run dialog
Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter
Expand Network Adapters
Right click on the Wireless device and select Uninstall

If you are asked if you want to also delete the drivers, respond No.

Reboot and let Vista do it's thing to find and reinstall the Wireless device. This can take several minutes so be patient.

Let me know how things are after that.
Sorry for the delayed reply, I have had trouble getting to a compter with internet access. As for my laptop, it is Compaq Presario CQ60 And for the reboot phase, it says the system cannot find the file specified
Can you explain the last line of your post please?

Do you get an error message at boot time after you uninstalled the Wireless device or for some other reason.

You can download and install the latest driver for your wireless from the Compaq web site, but the model number you gave is incomplete. It should be something like CQ60-419WM.
Sorry, I will get the full model number when I get home. As for the last line. Wehn I rebooted, it asked if I wanted to install the wireless driver and after I clicked yes that message came up.
Strange, I've never seen that happen before. You definitely need to download the driver from the Compaq web site once you vae the right model number. Post back if you need help locating the right driver.
From the Spybot thread it looks like you are running Vista Home Premium, not the 64 bit version. Is that correct?

Drivers for Vista X86 (32 bit) are here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar…ct=3983111#N939

From the Spybot thread, I see this: Atheros Driver Installation Program, so it looks like you want the Atheros Wireless LAN Driver.

📎CQ60_404CA_x86_wireless.jpg

Download that on another computer and put it on a flash drive or a CD then install it on the laptop. That should fix the problem.
So you downloaded the Atheros driver and installed it, correct?
Then when you reboot you are getting the "system cannot find the file specified" error message, right? Is what you provided the exact error? Does it specify what file it can't find? I'm wondering if it's not an Atheros Wireless card, but actually a Broadcom which is the other one listed at the Compaq site.

Need more info please.
  • Open Device Manager - (Control Panel, System, Hardware tab, Device Manager)
  • Expand Network Adapters
  • Double click on the Wireless adapter
  • Click on the Details tab
  • Make sure Device Instance Id is selected in the drop down box
  • Click on the line that starts with PCI\Ven_ then press Ctrl+C to copy it to the clipboard
  • Start a reply here and paste the copied data in it.
It will look something like this: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2449&SUBSYS_30138086&REV_01\4&2B96F39&0&40F0

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI