This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Network Controller yellow triangle

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Dell XPS400, Windows XP SP 2. My son apparently downloaded some kind of trojan and decided to help by "fixing" the computer. He removed our Linksys wireless-G software and also did something or other to the network settings so the network controller doesn't work. Obviously I can't get on the Internet to have the system just look on the Internet for the correct drivers, so how do I find what I need when I don't have any initial installation CD's? (filed away somewhere in our last move). Helllpppppp pleaseeeeee!
You could try System Restore. 1. Click Start. 2. Point to All Programs. 3. Point to Accessories. 4. Point to System Tools. 5. Click System Restore. 6. Follow the instructions on the wizard. See if you can find a date the the PC worked.

Can't do that. No restore points. Any other suggestions?

Did you have system restore turned off :pullhair:
Sorry I can't help much beings you don't have any install cd's. You might be able to use the pc you're using now and try to find the drivers to download.
yeah, I've been trying to find the drivers but the computer's a Dell….and I can't find anything in their support of any help and was hoping I could get some direction on where to get a network controller driver from here. Oh well…I will keep searching the Internet. Thanks anyways.
Select Product Category I don't know what you have. You select what your product is and follow the links to find your driver for the product you have.
ok..gotcha…but it's a plain connection via ethernet cable that doesn't work either. We only had the wireless installed 'cause I got a wireless router and plopped the computer in a different room but I now moved it back to be cabled so I didn't have to worry about it but it says it's connectivity is low to none. Thanks again though..I do appreciate your time. I'll probably open the case and find out what the network controller is - which I assume is the wireless card, by your last response - and then figure out more easily why the other network connection's not working. It's so hard being blonde. :-) Wish I had someone like you in the household!
I was finally able to get everything I needed (I think) and have reinstalled the wireless adapter and it shows now that I have an Excellent connection but still cannot access the Internet. when I try the repair feature it says there's an error renewing the IP address. the network connection details shows an IP Address of 169.254.210.84 which seems like an odd number…I thought networks were 168 numbers? The default gateway and the dns server and wins server are all blank. Can you tell me what I need to do to get connected to the internet? Seems a little odd. Maybe some trojan or something has taken over this system? Should I post in that forum? I'm so desperate to get this fixed sooner rather than later since it's not really my pc but a friend's and it was only being left here for a couple of weeks…oops.
http://www.tdaxp.com/archive/2005/02/05/ac…rk-address.html

Enter your Control Panel and double-click on Network Connections

Then right click on your Default Connection
Usually Local Area Connection for Cable and DSL
Left click on Properties
Double-Click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item
Select the radio dial that says Obtain DNS Servers Automatically
Press OK twice to get out of the properties screen and reboot if it asks

If that didn't work try the next.


Try freshening up your IP and clearing your DNS

Start - Run - (type)cmd
this will bring up a DOS Box display with a blinking cursor

At the blinking cursor type the following commands in sequence, waiting for the procedures to complete before entering the next command:

ipconfig /release - enter <– notice the required space before the "/"
ipconfig /renew - enter <– notice the required space before the "/"
ipconfig /flushDNS - enter <– notice the required space before the "/"

(Each of the above ipconfig steps may take from a few seconds to a minute or so to complete.
Wait for the blinking cursor to return before moving on to typing the next command.)

Then type in Exit tap enter.
___________

If the above does not remedy the problem, try this Next:
go here:
http://files.webattack.com/localdl834/WinsockxpFix.exe
Download Winsockxpfix.exe to your Desktop

Run Winsockxpfix.exe

For additional information about Winsockfix.exe you may read, here:
The graphical presentation walks the user through the entire process.
http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm
Ok…I've run the ipconfig /release and then /renew. On the renew I get the error:

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 3 : WSAStartup cannot function at this time because the underlying system it uses to provide network services is currently unavailable.

An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Connection 3 : WSAStartup cannot function at this time because the underlying system it uses to provide network services is currently unavailable.


Then I did the /flushDNS which stated: Successfully flushed the DNS Reolver Cache

I will now try to get the winsock fix to that computer. Sure wish I had a flash drive!! :-)

Just also found that the link was moved and is now:

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/WinSock_X…nsockxpfix.html

I'll let you know how I make out with it but wanted to give you a heads up on where I am right now. :-)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI