I'm a newbie to authoring as it's the first time I've used DVD Flick.
My attempt at authoring a 48 min (193 MB MP4) video failed during the combining of the video and audio and I've now lost all the free space I had on "C:".
DVD Flick told me my 1.3 GB of free space (tiny, I know) was insufficient as I needed 8 GB, but I thought I'd try anyway, stupidly.
Where might I find the files the program had created up until then so I can delete them and get back the space? I'm now constantly getting 'Low Disk Space' warnings and not just the yellow ones, but the red ones.
Would uninstalling DVD Flick with Revo get rid of whatever has filled the space?
Sorry, but I didn't save the log file of the error.
I realise this isn't the done thing, but I also posted this question on DVD Flick's forums. However, because the forum appears to be a ghost town - I was the only one on the site and I urgently need a solution - I'm looking for help here. I won't make this a regular occurrence.
Well they have a more precise answer, but what I suggest is getting and running some junk file cleaners, they will remove junk\temp files etc, and get back some drive space, I use 3, as each find stuff the others don't, so get and run Disk Cleaner, CCleaner, and if this is an xp system CleanUp! (NOT Vista etc), ATF Cleaner is another highly suggested one, run these and you will regain a lot of space.
Now the amount of free space sounds desperately low even for normal operation, so lets see what we can do about that, report back with what operating system you have, and we can check how much space the system is reserving for it's restore points, but deleting unwanted stuff, and uninstalling unused programs all helps free up space, hope this gets you started at least.
I would also suggest after doing as 8210GUY advises I would suggest running a defrag on your system. I prefer Auslogics Defrag.
Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Thanks for all the help, but I've got the space back now. Someone on DVD Flick's forums pointed out the prog. shows, at the bottom, where the files are. D'oh!
I always regularly delete junk, old Restore Points and uninstall programs (if I'm desperate), erase the space completely and defrag to consolidate that free space.
Before I discovered the errant files, this is what I did:
- Uninstalled a program, which freed 58 MB
- Ran CCleaner - 40 MB
- Ran MRU Blaster
- Ran Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer v.1.0.3.6 - 1.7 MB; rebooted
- Erased the space, freed by the deletion, using Eraser 5.8.7 (not Cluster tips though)
- Defragged using PerfectDisk 10
- Erased again, to over-write the newly-freed space
- Defragged again.
I installed and ran the 3 programs suggested above.
Disk Cleaner 1.8. Logfile:
Cleaning: Acrobat Reader
Acrobat Reader: Cleaned 15 kB in 2 items.
Cleaning: Adobe Flash Player
Adobe Flash Player: Cleaned 3 MB in 20 items.
Cleaning: Common Dialog MRUs
Common Dialog MRUs: Cleaned 152 b in 6 items.
Cleaning: Forced \Windows\Temp
Scheduled for removal on reboot: C:\WINDOWS\temp\Perflib_Perfdata_b8.dat
Forced \Windows\Temp: Cleaned 16 kB in 1 item.
Cleaning: Internet Explorer History
Internet Explorer History: Cleaned 0 b in 1 item.
Cleaning: Office 95, 97, 2000, XP and 2003 Recent Files
Office 95, 97, 2000, XP and 2003 Recent Files: Cleaned 3 kB in 21 items.
Cleaning: Recent Documents
Recent Documents: Cleaned 679 b in 2 items.
Cleaning: Windows Log Files
Scheduled for removal on reboot: C:\WINDOWS\Sti_Trace.log
Scheduled for removal on reboot: C:\WINDOWS\wiadebug.log
Scheduled for removal on reboot: C:\WINDOWS\wiaservc.log
Scheduled for removal on reboot: C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log
Windows Log Files: Cleaned 1 MB in 8 items.
Scheduled 5 files for removal on reboot.
Cleaned total of 4 MB in 61 items
Rebooted.
CleanUp! 4.5.2
Deleted everything, bar Bookmarks - 8.7 MB
ATF Cleaner
Deleted everything - 7.012 MB
I erased, one last time, and defragged again.
I have all sorts of programs to defrag, delete and erase, such as East-Tec Eraser 2009, Win Utilities, Glary Utilities and the aforementioned Auslogics Disk Defrag; it's just that none seemed to release the space that was lost, until I discovered I'd missed what was staring me in the face.
I've had a plan for God knows how long to dramatically increase the free space on "C:" by increasing the size of the partition, but I never get round to it. I know there's far too little free space. However, until I've removed several tens of GBs of files from the "D:" partition, to free up the space I need, I can't increase the size of the partition. I can't do that though until I back up the entire drive, for safety, which I can't do until I've bought a new back-up drive.
I have so much to do, but I thank both of you for your help.
As you have no doubt found out you're system is probably handling very slowly compared to when you first set it up, you need to allow more space than you use, they suggest a hard drive should not be more than 60% full for optimal performance, so when you get round to increasing the partition try and remember this and create a partition big enough to allow for this.
Now you didn't mention you're OS, but assuming you are running xp, check the amount of space allocated to system restore, by default this takes 12% (15% on vista), so can eat hard drive space, it's usually suggested to reduce this r=too 2 or 3%, this will free up quite a lot of space depending on the size of the drive, but doing this means restore points will be overwritten much soon than before, but generally speaking you shouldn't need to go back that far, but I mention it too raise awareness.
To check\alter the system restore size in xp, go into the control panel and launch the System icon (as though looking to device manager), click on the System Restore tab at the top, then move the slider down to 2 or 3% and click OK, job done run the junk file cleaners to clear up anything that it may be able to access now, if need be we can talk you through clearing ALL restore points, and starting afresh to clear all previous restore points,it's up to you, but hopefully this will get you a bit more space to keep you going until you get a new drive.
I've just reduced the space for Restore Points to 3%.
I've also deleted all the Restore Points - System Properties > [checked] "Turn off System restore on all drives" - and then over-written all the free space using Eraser and defragged. I made sure to uncheck it again.
I'll have to leave increasing the size of the "C:" partition to when I have the time.
Sounds good, hopefully you're system will be feeling a bit happier now, and you will be able to manage until you get the time\space to increase the partition, but when that time comes, make sure you add plenty of spare space to minimise this need again, my system (xp) is currently at 41gig, but I am not fully installed currently, so in my case I would look to say an 80gig partition for my needs, it would allow me to have plenty of space for further installs as time went by without filling the drive up to the point it affects performance.
So try and make sure you give enough space to have 40% of the partition as free space, it needs such space for moving files around, like with the error that brought this thread, it wont take the space permanently, but it still needs it to do what it has to do, hope this helps when you are ready to increase the size.