This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Lost 5 GB On My 'C' Drive

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello;

 

Feb 9 I did a cleanup on my PC and after it was done I noticed 12.75 GB of free space on my "C" drive.

 

Today Feb 12 I have "lost" 5 GB of space to something I don't know what.

 

I have not installed any thing on the drive, it is strictly for OS which is Windows 10 Pro.

 

Does somebody know of a program that will find out what has done this?

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I use Treesize Free to find out info like this. Give it a try.

Hello;

Wow !! Unbelieveable.  I downloaded Tree Size and found that I had something called  hiberfil.sys that has eaten up 11.5 GB of space.  After Googling the name of the file I found a link to somewhere called 'How to geek' and followed their instructions of how to get rid of this little annoyance.

 

I did what it said and POOF 12.3 GB of 'junk' was gone.

 

Now to dig further and find anything else that is not needed on the drive like 18 GB for my AMD video card which looks wrong to me so I will contact AMD first just to make sure. 

 

Thanks for the tip.  

hiberfile.sys is used by the Hibernate function. If you don't use hibernate then entering powercfg /h off from a Elevated Command prompt to turn off Hibernate will get rid of it.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI