Hi all.
Something really scary is happening with my wife's brand new Sony VAIO laptop. Today error message, "your computer is running low on disk space" message popped up. It was really odd because I had been keeping an eye on how much space we've been using on there. But I thought that maybe I didn't do such a good job keeping an eye on the space, so I deleted a bunch of video and music files from there and ran CCleaner. I must've deleted around 70-80 GB worth of stuff. (I have it all backed up on my external hard drive, so no worries.) Anyway, even after doing that, the message is still coming up and the C drive still shows only 999 MB of space left. I'm also running CHKDSK right now, but it's been stuck on 78% complete for almost an hour now.
So could anyone please help me figure out what the problem is? This is just completely insane! I'd greatly appreciate however you guys can help, and I really appreciate you all taking the time to read this.
Ok, I see that there is one file in the folder AppData/Local/Temp folder that's 159 GB. It's named "mnc3177.tmp" Is it okay to delete this file? What kind of file is it? I hope it's not important, because my wife is deleting it right now, against my advisement.
If it's in the temp folder, it's not needed. No idea what it is though as Google doesn't get any hits at all on mnc3177.
Would have been good to know the date it was created and/or last modified. That might have helped tie it to some action you or your wife did with the computer.
Keep an eye open for it in the future and if it happens again, record date/time info.
Thanks, Ztrucker. She hadn't deleted it yet, but I just told her she could now that you gave me the word. I asked her what the dates were for the file and she said, "Created: today. Modified: today. Last accessed: today."
What I want to know is why this file was created and how we can stop this from happening again. It seems worthless to have a huge file like that hogging up the hard drive space.
Her new laptop is running Windows 7. Might be good to add that to your system info as it currently only shows Windows XP.
Dates of today are pretty meaningless. What were the actual times? Can you relate that to anything that was being done on the computer?
That's a very large file so even though you've run a lot of AV and AS programs, I'm a bit concerned about malware or even someone using your the system as a bot to send out who knows what.
It might be a good idea to post in the malware area here to have one of our folks take a look. You can hold off on doing this unless it happens again then I would say do it immediately.