This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Editing the Boot file

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a Phantom extra boot choice :o I'd like to remove it if possible. 3 boot choices instead of 2: XP Pro XP Pro W7 Pro The first one above is the Phantom. Here is a copy of the Boot.ini file: ——————————————————————————————————————– ;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems. ;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options. ; [boot loader] timeout=30 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /USEPMTIMER ——————————————————————————————————————— If I run cmd and type in the command prompt : 'bootcfg /delete /ID' and then type in XP Pro as the description to delete, won't that remove both XP Pro choices? I just want to remove the Phantom one only. Any help or advice on the best way to do this would be appreciated, thanks. Cheers, Lee PS edit: I can't remove the Phantom entry with easy BCD as it's not showing up in that program. Probably because it doesn't exist of course.
Try this

Start > Run > Type msconfig click OK > select the Boot.ini tab > Click the "Check all boot paths" button.

The System Configuration utility will then verify each line mentioned in the Boot.ini to check if it's valid.

If orphaned entries are detected, you'll be prompted with a dialog offering to remove the invalid OS from the Boot.ini

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI