This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

XP Countdown upon startup

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Forgot how to do this, so I will ask the question if anyone remembers how. When Windows XP Loads up you get to a point of where it ask you to select which operating system to load up, if not then the timer counts down from 30 seconds and starts windows if you did not select which to start. Their was something you did in order just to boot straight into windows without highlighting which operating system or waiting on the cound down. So does anyone remember how to change this option, I thought it was in the system32.ini file or something of the sort?
Hi Jimbo1, this is controlled by the boot.ini file, which you can access as follows:
  • Open Control Panel
  • Open System
  • Click on the Advanced tab
  • Click on the Settings button under Startup and Recovery
  • Click the Edit button. This will open boot.ini in notepad.
  • Change the timeout=30 value to timeout=0
  • Click File then Save then close Notepad and all the other windows
Shutdown and reboot, should boot directly to the OS identified by the default= statement in boot.ini.

I leave mine set at 3 seconds as that gives me enough time to select another OS if I want.
Cool, thanks for the info, last time I have done this was about 8 years ago and the old nogging could not remember how. You have a good day. Jimbo

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI