This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Second (extended) Monitor just blinked off

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi Folks,

I may be faced with a failing Monitor
This machine is pretty much on 24/7 and monitors turn off automatically after 20 minutes of inactivity.
This is an "older" machine (Compaq Presario SR1900nx) running XP Home.
Other hardware details are listed below.

Context:
I was browsing and posting at various Forums, plus conducting some email via Outlook.
I had 4 browsers open with multiple tabs each.
I had an open email reply in composition.

then the second Monitor of two, just blinked off.
the Green power led stayed green and no warning screens appeared just a completely dark black screen with no activity.
I turned off the screen and back on, but it would not light up, though the Green power led returned just fine.

Display Screen #1 continued to work fine.

I used MS Display Properties to disable Screen #2, causing all of my windows to return to screen #1 for proper saving and closing.

I rebooted and then attempted to use Display Properties to extend to Screen #2. Voila! I have two screens again.

this is the first time I've had such a display failure on Screen #2.

As I am presently experiencing two screens again, I am a happy camper, but a bit skittish about a potential re-occurance.
Any thoughts or recommendations?

P.S. those temps and voltages have been steady for pretty much more than a year.
I clean out the case periodically, have good fan circulations and no fan or power failures.

ViewSonicVA1912w Seroes Screen Resolution 1152 x 864 Medium (16 bit color)
VoewSonic VA912-3 Screen Resolution 1152 x 864 Medium (16 bit color)

nVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

——–[ EVEREST Ultimate Edition ]————————————————————————————

Version EVEREST v4.60.1500
Benchmark Module 2.3.237.0
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer VSP2 (TWB)
Generator Luddite
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2009-07-10
Time 08:26


——–[ Sensor ]——————————————————————————————————

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type SMSC DME1737/SCH5017 (SMBus 2Eh)
GPU Sensor Type Diode (NV-Diode)

Temperatures:
Motherboard 42 °C (108 °F)
CPU 42 °C (108 °F)
Aux 54 °C (129 °F)
GPU Diode 51 °C (124 °F)
Seagate ST3120213AS 40 °C (104 °F)
Seagate ST340823A 42 °C (108 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 1728 RPM
Chassis 998 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.23 V
+3.3 V 3.35 V
+5 V 5.08 V
+12 V 12.13 V
VTR 3.35 V
Debug Info F 35 0C 21 15 FF FF FF FF
Debug Info T 2A 2A 36 81
Debug Info V 00 69 C3 C3 C2 / C3 00
________________________________________________________________

——–[ EVEREST Ultimate Edition ]————————————————————————————

Version EVEREST v4.60.1500
Benchmark Module 2.3.237.0
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer VSP2 (TWB)
Generator Luddite
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2009-07-10
Time 08:28


——–[ Overclock ]—————————————————————————————————

CPU Properties:
CPU Type Intel Celeron D 352
CPU Alias Cedar Mill-512
CPU Stepping C1
Engineering Sample No
CPUID CPU Name Intel® Celeron® D CPU 3.20GHz
CPUID Revision 00000F64h

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 3200.1 MHz (original: 3200 MHz)
CPU Multiplier 24x
CPU FSB 133.3 MHz (original: 133 MHz)
Memory Bus 199.8 MHz

CPU Cache:
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache 16 KB
L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 05/03/2006-RC410-SB450-P5RC-LE-00
Motherboard Name Asus P5RC-LE (Altair) (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x16, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)

Chipset Properties:
Motherboard Chipset ATI Radeon Xpress 200
Memory Timings 3-4-0-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
DIMM1: Patriot Memory PSD1G400 1 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-4-4-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz)
DIMM3: Patriot Memory PSD1G400 1 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-4-4-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz)

BIOS Properties:
System BIOS Date 05/03/06
Video BIOS Date 07/17/08
Award BIOS Type Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Award BIOS Message Copyright 2006 by Hewlett-Packard Company Rev. 3.02
DMI BIOS Version 3.02

Graphics Processor Properties:
Video Adapter nVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
GPU Code Name G96GT (PCI Express 1.0 x16 10DE / 0640, Rev A1)
GPU Clock (Geometric Domain) 550 MHz (original: 550 MHz)
GPU Clock (Shader Domain) 1400 MHz (original: 1375 MHz)
Memory Clock 499 MHz (original: 500 MHz)

Try update / replace your Monitor driver, might fix it.

besides that, some ViewSonic models are known to have this behaviour, especially
the VX922 according to what I can read from some pages found via Google.

But found a thread on Tom's Hardware :)

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-247964_15_0.html

One found a solution to this problem, and it was due to faulty capacitors…

Scroll down to the post from drumerman (About midway)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI