This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

why, why, why won't java work in IE8?! Need fix by Sept 9th fo

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

:pullhair: I have tried every possible fix for getting java to run in IE8: I ran the MS website autofix, which told me nothing was wrong (even though video freezes IE) and then I reset all my IE settings, then I read the post here at WTT to uninstall java and run fixjava.bat then reinstall java offline so I did that, but STILL when I go to Control Panel->Java->Advanced->browsers, I can't click the box for IE because it is grayed out. Some other idiot website said to just use Mozilla. That's the stupidest answer I ever heard; it's like telling someone with car trouble to just use a different car. I need help ASAP because my online class starts in a few days, and it requires java.

I stated in my post that I already followed those instructions to no avail. I don't get those error messages, either.

Sorry about that.
Have you tried uninstalling IE8 and then re-install?
What I did was go to the MS website and use their autofix program. It told me nothing was wrong. (Kinda reminds me of communist Russian style denial "we don't have problem.") BUT- I re-read the post that you linked to, which discussed going through the registry to take out entries that might cause a problem, so I did backup and then I uninstalled java again,then did a search for anything that contained "java" and then deleted those folders. After that, I did a search in the registry for "java" then took out any entry that pointed to the java program folders, being careful to not delete any java entries that were for other programs pointing to java. I'm sure I'll find out if I took too much, but thankfully I have a backup. I'm nowhere near as methodical or throrough as you guys, so I hope nobody tries to repeat what I did. After doing all that, I reinstalled java offline, and Voila! it works. Now I can relax. Once again, WTT to the rescue, even if it was indirect :) ps- I can't express how much I regret updating from IE7 to IE8.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI