This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Create a XP Pro reinstall CD from wkg system?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I haven't seen this asked, so maybe it's really dumb?
I had a bad trojan (Tidserv) issue which whatthetech fixed..I am most grateful..took 9 days!

NOW, I am looking for insurance. The PC came with windows XP Pro installed and I have the SW key, but have no disc(s).
1.) >>>Is it possible to create a reinstall disc or disc set from a totally functional system…just the winxp sp3 stuf (not the rest)??

I eventually will use norton ghost to a spare drive once I reorganize everything (I have 3 drives and have to put working files on a separate drive, moving all pgms to the C drive.
I do engineering and video demos so the working files are massive, and bad housekeeping kept files with sw. Need to separate them.

It's getting hard to get OS discs for WIN XP, and since we're up to SP3, I may only be able to get SP1.
2.) I have heard if you get old discs, you can "slipstream the SP# into it making a complete disc. How does that work?

Thanks
Hi, Your idea of using a disc imaging programme like Ghost (or Acronis or Paragon…or one of the free disc imaging applications) is a very good one.
You can image just your boot partition or the whole of your hard drive…its up to you, but do keep a copy of the disc image on removable media, (an external USB drive is good for this), verify the image is reproducible and make a boot disc so even if Windows is so damaged it won't even start, just boot with the bootable CD and reimage back to your perfect set up in less time than it takes to walk the dog!.

If you want to slipstream SP 3 and make a Windows XP installation disc then you will need to look at nlite or a similar programme.
Full details from here:
http://www.nliteos.com/guide/

The complete guide is in several parts, but there is nothing terribly complex or taxing in the procedure…..
A shortcut might be to go visit your friendly neighbourhood computer technician…"cross his or her palm with silver" and ask if you can have a copy of their XP installation disc….
Good luck..its a very worthwhile thing to have.
Regards
paws
You can't make a XP installation CD form a working XP install unfortunately. Who is the manufacturer of your PC? You should be able to order the recovery CD from their web site for around $20. CHeaper than buying a copy of XP and should have all the correct device drivers so everything should work when the reinstall is done.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI