This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

new install of Windows XP

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I haven't formally worked w/computers in 10 years, so I could use some help on what to do. I'm pretty bold with my own computers (we have 6 in the house now), but not when I'm trying to help someone else. My brother-in-law has a 5 yr old Dell Dimension 4100 that is crashing… has Windows ME and lots of OS and virus issues. Norton and OS was never updated, because he knows NOTHING about computers. For Christmas, I'd like to rebuild his 4100, using my old Dell Dimension 8100 as the base. This would involve buying Windows XP, upgrading memory, etc. I haven't done this in years! I think I should get a tool that checks the HD for errors and then formats it. Then I can start installing XP. Am I right, or am I way off base? I have a Dell install disk for XP (I just bought a 9100), but that belongs to my new PC. That's still illegal, right? So do I have to start from scratch, or can I use the CD as a base and overlay a legal copy of XP? Wouldn't most of the drivers still be compatible? Yes, I have all my old CDs, but isn't that outdated? Can anyone tell me where to start? What formatting tool is best these days? I know there are disk formatting/checking prgrms put out by individual HD manufactures, but is that really the best?
hi KathiMI1,

i will try to answer your questions:

What formatting tool is best these days?

i use the HD manufactores tools, but a install cd like xp will also give you the option of reformatting the hd before the install of the os.

can I use the CD as a base and overlay a legal copy of XP

if this is just a xp os install cd and not a "recovery" cd then probably so. this brings up windows activation. xp must be "activated" a "capsule" of your computer is taken, hardware info etc. this info then becomes tied to your activation. changes in hardware etc for the same computer shouldnt require a new activation. installing the same xp disc on another completley different computer will be ok in my experience if its done after some time period has past. ms is really looking for cds that are installed on multiply computers in a short period of time. you probably would have to update some drivers.
Thanks for your help, SHELFLIFE. I have the original CD's that came with my very recently purchased Dell 9100 but I don't think they provided the OS (it's on a partition instead?). I also have the CDs from my Dell 8100, but it is Windows ME. Couldn't I install a purchased copy of XP and then start loading drivers off the CD? A shelf copy would come with HD formatting tools, then? Cool!
hi KathiMI1

Couldn't I install a purchased copy of XP

yes and the option to reformat and install xp should be a option. you might have to change the boot order in the bios to boot from cd first.

start loading drivers off the CD?

you could try, dont know if they would work.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI