This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows XP OEM issues

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

So here is the deal. A month or 2 ago I had asked for help in the malware virus removal forum to only find out that my newer pc was seriously infected, and the best solution was to format and reinstall Windows XP. I did explain that my pc came with the system recovery preinstalled on the HDD's recovery partition which I had never created the cds. Furthermore, I was warned that with the state of my computer was in, it is possible that the system recovery has been infected. I tried running the recovery anyways, but sure enough, my system was reinfected again. On my first try, I thought I could just swap HDDs, but because my older PC did not an onboard video, all I would get is BSOD as soon as i booted. However, I did see somewhere while searching for a solution, that XP does have an installation in the i386 folder called winnt32. Since the older HDD isn't infected, I really do not see, after formating my infected HDD, why I cannot run a plan installation off the old HDD onto the cleaned formatted HDD?

I thought I could just swap HDDs, but because my older PC did not an onboard video, all I would get is BSOD as soon as i booted. However, I did see somewhere while searching for a solution, that XP does have an installation in the i386 folder called winnt32. Since the older HDD isn't infected, I really do not see, after formating my infected HDD, why I cannot run a plan installation off the old HDD onto the cleaned formatted HDD?


Sorry, but it won't work.. The old HDD is from a different computer and won't swap over regardless of "winnt32".
If the new PC has no uninfected recovery console, what your "technically" trying to do is piracy :lol:

What I would do if you haven't already formated the newer PC, is to head over to the Malware forum and try to have the PC disinfected. If you have formated the HDD, you need an OS installation disk :(

Malware forum threads 2nd and 28th of May.
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…=118601&hl=
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…=118063&hl=

Cheers,
Lee
Contact the Manufacturer for installation media (CD/DVD) for that machine. They should have it available to you as original owner, for under $30 US

Sorry, but it won't work.. The old HDD is from a different computer and won't s regardless of "winnt32". If the new PC has no uninfected recovery console, what your "technically" tryin to do is piracy [\quote]
….but see, that is the part that I do not get. I have the product key, and the computer comes with a windows installation recovery. The only difference is that it is infected. And what would be the difference if I made 2 recovery kits prior to my PC being infected. If I ever had a problem with any of my Adobe programs, such as the original gets scratched, Adobe has no problem for me to redownload the software because they know that I have a purchased serial number to that particular product.
Contact the Manufacturer for installation m (CD/DVD) for that machine. They should have it available to you as orig owner, for under $30 US

True, that is a thought, but I have been wanting to just save up to build a new computer and it is just bad timing to do that right now. If worse does come to worse, I guess that will be my only option.

Z: Fixed quote so it works

Contact the Manufacturer for installation m (CD/DVD) for that machine. They should have it available to you as orig owner, for under $30 US[\quote]
True, that is a thought, but I have been wanting to just save up to build a new computer and it is just bad timing to do that right now. If worse does come to worse, I guess that will be my only option.


I'm afraid that is your main option. However, if you are saving up to build a new computer, it will need a OS disc. There is no reason why you cannot buy an OS disc for that now and use it in your current PC until your next PC is built.

Without a valid OS disc, you cannot just transfer your OS from one PC to your next PC, which is basically what your original post was seeking our help to achieve.

Cheers,
Lee

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI