Hey everyone this isn't really a virus problem but a hardware issue. So what happened, was that I was on the computer like normal with a few processes up, and out of nowhere my computer starts freezing up and then I get the blue screen of death. I then restarted my computer and windows 7 won't even start. It's asking for a boot disk and says "hard disk not exist".
So I have a couple questions. Does anybody know how I can fix this problem and will I lose all my files from fixing this problem? Thanks and I hope someone can help me!
Bad news. I got the BSOD and I didn't really pay attention to what it said. Then when I restarted the computer it wouldn't boot up windows 7. The blue screen said something about the kernel memory or something like that. I should have looked at it but I thought my computer would boot up normally again (which it didn't)
Because one of your questions is "will I lose all my files from fixing this problem?", we are led to the unhappy possibility that the only place where your important documents, media, files, and information reside, is directly on the hard drive in the machine that is now causing problems.
While not uncommon, this is not a good situation.
And while most solutions to fix a machine "can" be accomplished without harming/loosing data stores, there is a risk of data loss in every solution.
Therefore, your first step needs to be recovery and secure storage of your important data, away from the machine. (This means, stored to CD/DVD, external Hard Drive, second internal Hard Drive, network attached storage, or online backup services.
What storage solutions do you already use?
What data is presently at risk?
What resources for external storage do you already possess?
To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced, Disk Drives or General area and click Enter
See if you HD is listed in one of the above areas.
Post back with your findings.
If the drive is mechanically working we can use a Linux Live cd to hopefully backup your important data.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI