I'm having an issue with my DI-514 wireless router. I can connect fine when the router first boots up. My laptop will stay connected to the router all day. The problem happens when I disconnect from the router and try to reconnect again. Whether the laptop goes to sleep, I shutdown, or manually disconnect the wireless connection, I cannot reconnect until I power cycle the router.
Hi, sorry to hear of the wireless problem you are experiencing.
A very crude (but efficient) diagnostic can be performed by:
1 Trying a different laptop, one with a known good wireless performance, does it do the same when connected to your Wireless Access Point? (DLInk)
if it does then its pointing to a fault in the WAP….
2 If the alternative laptop is able to maintain the connection then its your own computer we need to check out.
Let us know how you get on.
Regards
paws
Ok… just tried another laptop. This laptop also had issues "reconnecting".
The first laptop, running Windows 7 was able to stay connected for about 2 days with no problems. The problem only occurs when I disconnect and reconnect.
While the first laptop was connected, I connected the second laptop (running windows xp). They were both connected successfully at the same time.
Next, I disconnected the 2nd laptop (xp lappy) and it killed the connection for the first laptop as well. Now neither are able to reconnect. I am not able to reconnect either laptop until I power cycle the wireless router.
Thanks for your time,
Terry
Hi Ok. So it looks as though both laptops are behaving the same.. we can conclude therefore that its the WAP (Dlink) that is the problem.
There are two suggestions for you:
1 Reconfigure your D link completely with all settings and see if this does the trick
alternative
Borrow a different WAP/Router/Modem and see if this is better
Its important you make a note of your SSID the method of encryption (WPA or WPA2 etc) and the wirelss key (password or phrase) that you are using before altering anything in the D link
Regards
paws