This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Revapping my PC

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm going to upgrade my PC when I get back to the states and I have a current build below, but I really don't require this much power. I normally play mmorpgs like WoW. Right now I'm running a 8800GS graphics card on a MSI 790fx board and a AMD Phenom 9550 quad and am content, so that should give you an idea on my standards. The build below is going to run me about $800, but I'd be willing to sacrifice some performace if I could get that price to around $400-$500. Thanks!


RAM: Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X 4GB PC8500 DDR2 Memory - 1066MHz Dual Channel CL5
PS: C13-2508 Corsair TX850W Power Supply - 850W ATX, 80Plus
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5670, 1GB DDR5, PCI-E 2.0, CrossFireX, DVI, HDMIHeat
Heat Sink: Cool Master V8 CPU Fan - Socket 1366/775/AM2/Am2 +, 1156 120mm, Modular Aluminum Fins
Motherboard: ECS A790GXM - AD3 - AMD 790GX, Socket AM3
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad - 3.2GHz
That would be a pretty sweet rig.

I'm just wondering why you would by a new motherboard though? The 790 GX chipset is just an FX with integrated graphics. If you're buying it because you want a major upgrade from AM2+ to AM3, then I suggest you buy DDR3 RAM instead of DDR2 RAM.

Something like the OCZ Obsidian 4GB DDR3 modules would knock the socks of most other rigs.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16820227495

Also, I would only suggest going for the Black Edition Phenom II if you're planning to do some overclocking. The Cool Master V8 will do a great job at keeping it cool, but you could save around about $30 to $50 by not getting the Black Edition and getting a slightly less powerful cooler.

Other than that, the GPU is a good choice, as is the PSU. Like I said in a previous topic; however, I would wait a bit before buying any new graphics cards. nVidia is bringing its new GTX 400 series of GPU's out, which should result in a price dip for ATi cards.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI