This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Computer won't connect to Microsoft Sites

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My wife's computer will not connect to any Microsoft Web Site to get updates or downloads. I keep getting cannot connect to server etc. but my laptop can connect. Her computer is connected directly to the wireless router while my lap top is roaming. She can access every other site but not a Microsoft site. Any clues? Thanks! Sorry, I forgot: HP Desktop, Windows XP Home, and it happens on both explorer and firefox. Chief
Hello RetiredChief. Can you please try to connect to mcafee.com, or symantec.com? See if you get the same results. If so, you are infected with something that is blocking your internet connection and you should post in our malware removal forum for assistance.
Appleoddity, Firefox will not connect to any anti-virus web site, Microsoft, Symantec, Norton, or AVG but will connect to everything else. I checked Internet Explorer and it won't connect to the internet at all. I get the message: I.E. cannot display the Web Page. I clicked on the Diagnose Connections Problems tab and got the following result: Windows cannot connect to the internet via HTTP, HTTPS, FTP. This is probably caused by firewall settings yadda yadda yadda…. So I copied the file log results to a word doc and transferred it to my thumb drive. I put it into my laptop, which I am on now and right clicked it and scanned with Malwarebytes Anti-malware tool and it found the Conficker Worm. I removed it with the MBam tool and re-started my computer, but I forgot to remove the thumb drive first. Now it won't open. I am currently running AVG and MBam on my laptop to see if it has anything on it. What's next?
Hello RetiredChief. You are definitely infected with something.

Please read here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=106388

And post a new topic here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showforum=27

I was not suggesting that you start trying to clean viruses off your computer on your own. I cannot assist you with that here. At this point I will be unable to give you any further assistance in this thread until you have visited the malware removal forum and received an all clear. You should tell them what you have already done and attach any logs you currently have. Sorry, I shoud have been more clear.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI