Hey guys, I'm looking to build a computer primarilary for audio production. I know some basics on computers, but I'd like to get some opnions. I'd want a quad core processor,around 4 gigs of ram, lots of hard drive space, a TI FireWire card,quiet fans/cooling, and 64 bit windows 7. Id also like to do a tad bit of gaming. My budget is 1000-2000$. I'd really like to keep it under 1600, but I want to get an awesome future proof machine (I won't mind making some upgrades later.)
Before you even think of building a machine you need to have a list of all the parts. Here is one I usually use :
Basics: 1. Computer Case 2. Motherboard 3. CPU 4. RAM 5. Hard Drive 6. Graphics Card 7. PSU 8. Optical Drive - DVD/CD Drive 9. WiFi Card (optional) 10. Aftermarket CPU Cooler (optional 11. Operating System (Essential!)
Then you also need to consider : 1. Screen 2. Keyboard / Mouse 3. Speakers
In your case, it has to be a bit more specific than that. A quad core CPU and lots of RAM is a good place to start, but you need to be looking at top of the range audio cards too.
M-Audio, Creative and Asus are good places to start.
On top of that you need to consider some decent software, headphones/speakers, instruments and even midi controllers or even a multi track recorder.
As for making it "future proof", it's not really possible. And it would certainly cost you more than $2000 to get a machine that can do everything extremely well and to keep it that way for years to come.
My advice to you is to fill up the checklist and we'll see if it's all compatible and will give you what you want.
Thanks for the list, Ive been looking for one a while, as Ive tried collecting parts for building a machine, but just never knew if i was forgetting something. As for the equipment and software, I have all that. I have a Presonus firestudio 2626 as my main soundcard (and its also the primary reason im getting a new machine)
You see, The machine im running on now is pretty decent, but since it doesnt have TI Firewire card, It wont work well with my firestudio, so Ive been using my line 6 pod x3 as my sound card. It works really well, but i cant use my good mic because it requires phantom power! Anyways, Id figure I may as well build my own machine thats really powerful and will last a decently long time. So, all that I need are the components for a computer. Ive been learning about the components of computers, but I want hardware that will work well together and be the best price. so, ill put a brief description of what i would want for each one, because i dont have any set ideas.
1. Something with some soundproof, and with lots of space for extra drives and the like, size doesnt matter.
2. Something that will work with (most likely) an intel i7 quad core processor. Id also like a decent amount of PCI/PCI express…etc and usb 2.0 slots.
3. Most likely an i7, unless there is something i should know about.
4. A fast and powerful ram, Id rather get higher quality and slowly buy more over time, then get a bunch of crappy ram now.
5.Once again, something fast and high quality, and a decent amount of space. Ive heard its good to have several drives, one for the OS especially. Is that a good idea?
6. Well, Id like something good, but i don't need to play on the highest res on crysis haha. I'd just like something that can play the newer games without lagging every 2 seconds. Once again, not a big priority.
7. However many watts will be necessary for the computer. I don't know if theres a way, but id like it to be somewhat quiet. Since I will be recording some outside audio (I use amp sims and drums sims for most things) Itd be nice if the machine could be some what quiet.
8. Id probably like a Cd/DVD burner, and if they are not too expensive, possibly a blu-player, but thats just a maybe.
9.I believe I have an extra wireless internet card, but if you could recommend any thatd be great.
10. If itll help the machine be in better condition, then id like one (once again, if it can be quiet)
11. Id like windows 7 64-bit, so i can utilize more RAM.
I have specific audio speakers, and another pair of computer speakers to use for this computer once i build the computer. I Might want to purchase a screen, but it is not necesarry as i could just use the one im using now. Same for mouse and keyboard.
And as for future proof, I mean a lot of open slots so I could add memory and PCI/PCIe slots, so i could extend the life of it a tad.
Thanks for all your help.
Well, I went on to make my own build. I need you guys to tell me if i missed anything,am paying too much for anything, or if anything i got is garbage. Right now I think it seems like its going to be a pretty powerful build.