I have been saving up (rather failing at it too) this summer, and so far have about 250 or so $. I want to get off of this old dell and get onto something that can actually play GTA IV while recording with no hiccups, and crank the settings up on Oblivion and stay above 50 fps in TF2 firefights. My friend had someone help him build a great rig using parts from geeks.com (which scares me slightly), and his was about somewhere in the 300-350$ range. Could I get a computer that can handle minecraft/oblivion/gta/hl2 games without getting any slow-downs, even while recording? I'll probably wind up putting more money into it as it comes, but for the moment I just want to get more than 9 fps.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as I can only put computers together, not pick the parts >_>
Edit1: Oh, and sound quality doesnt mean much to me as of the moment, so built in sound would be fine until I bought a soundcard later down the road.
56 views and not 1 reply…
Anywho, I managed to scrap this together from another thread, does it look decent/compatible? (like 3 parts are not available right now, so >_>')
So as you know, the bottleneck of any machine today will be the graphics card, its better to skim off of other things such as the processor to devote more resources to this. Also you want to be careful that you're also accounting in your budget to buy a power supply…
$300-$500 Gaming rig? Right up my alley.
In Oz. that would be $600-$1000 rig (we pay almost twice as much for everything).
The best strategy in the world, for me anyway as I'm always short of PC money, is to go 2yrs old but still available new with a bit of looking around. What was really good then will be about half the price now, but nowhere near half the quality.
I only recently upgraded my video card to a new 9800GT (1GB) for about a 1/3rd of the original cost. Performance? Will play any game around today at moderate settings. A 'modern' card at the same price would only have about half the performance of the 9800GT.
The same theory can be applied to most other areas of Hardware, except PSU's, but I don't skimp in that area.
Cheers,
Lee
PS; And don't be fooled by ths SATA 2, Sata 3 HD marketing ' 'spin'. There is no such thing.
Sata is a cable connection, not a HD. A 7200rpm Sata (cabling) HD runs at exactly the same speed as a 7200rpm Sata 2 or Sata 3 7200rmp HD …all run at the speed of 7200rpm !
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI