Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

My Own Website

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bubbleman

bubbleman

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:19 AM

um hi, plain and simply i am intrested in building my own website or owning one so to speak and i would like some help please i have no clue where to start, your help would be much apreciated. thank you in advance :)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:02 AM

Well you are in for a heck of a ride and learning curve here, I am no expert in this field, in fact I am still a bit of a n00b in some ways, but after dabbling over the years I have a basic understanding of various parts and can put something together, and have it work, but as soon as you want to include or use complex features then it's a new ball game, this is not an area where you can learn in a few goes, and once you think you have a fair understanding of what you are doing, you will venture further and feel as though you know nothing again. I don't say this to put you off, but rather to explain how overwhelming this area can be when you have never done it before, I've dabbled a few times over the years, and just when you think you have it sus-ed, something else pops up lol, ultimately it really depends how deep you want to go in this area. Assuming you have never done this before there is a choice you need to decide, that is how far do you want to go in this area ? Should you wish to get a deeper knowledge and learn this skillful area, then there are many tutorials about to get you started, personally I learn best stumbling along and messing up, so don't know the best sites for such guides, alternately you can buy WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) programs off the shelf that allow those who do not know about this area to be able to put together a web page, these are great for a quick fix, but are no replacement if you want to go further in this area, so the choice is your's. Next is hosting, once you make a site, you need somewhere to host it, there are many hosts on the market, some are good, some are bad, some are expensive, others are cheap, and the saying you get what you pay for is true here, but there are some of them who have such WYSIWYG site builders in with the price of the hosting, or available at a higher premium, also if this isn't complicated enough already, if you're site has advanced features then the host needs to be able to support these features, it is unlikely this will be something for you to worry about, but not impossible, but as you grow then you will be more aware of this. This is a massive area, and there is no way you will take all this in straight away, so don't despair, take it a step at a time, but hopefully this will give you an idea of the basic concept of this field, the only thing left to mention is a site name, you need to think of a www. name, and make sure it's available, then you need to buy this, well rent is probably more accurate, as you have to renew this each time to retain use of this name, hope it helps.

Braindead

#3 bubbleman

bubbleman

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:50 PM

wow.... after reading all of that i kinda dont feel like learning anymore :( sounds quite time consuming and my studies are already occupying alot of my time.......so is it possible to just get someone to make one for me? also on average how much would i hav to pay some1 to do that? ( if at all) :)

#4 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:38 PM

LOL yeah it can be overwhelming, but please don't let that alone put you off, but you do need to appreciate that depending how deeply you wish too venture in this area, then it is extremely time consuming as you progress through the learning curves it will give you. There will always be someone ready to take you're money off you, but it doesn't mean they know what they are doing, but they are certainly able to create something to suit you, but a pro would pick holes with it, so you get what you pay for, but unless you want a truly professional build there are many able to give you something you would like, but with that comes possible security risks, if you want them too put it up for you, then they need access details, or permissions to the host server, and you have no way too know what they may do, luckily such risks are rare, but you need to be aware of them. TBH you sound like you would be best suited to a web builder package, either as a premium from the host, or something bought off the shelf for not much money, they make it fairly easy going to create something, but it is no replacement for proper web design, but unless you're looking for a pro finish, I'd suggest having a dabble at creating something yourself first, depending what you expect you could find it very easy and quick to do, so consider having a play yourself and see how you go is my advice, then go from there.

Braindead

#5 bubbleman

bubbleman

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

aah alrighty ill give it a shot probably during the summer XD

#6 Guest_NightWizard_*

Guest_NightWizard_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:44 AM

Hi bubbleman, Building a website at first admittedly is intimidating and a real learning curve like 8210GUY said. There are several things you need to take into consideration. 1) How much money you are willing to spend 2) Do you want a top end .com domain (which costs money) or a free one like .co.cc 3) What website software do you want to use 4) Many other small things.... There are a lot of tutorials on youtube about this that are very helpful. May I ask is this a personal website and if so what type on content would be on the site (blog, forum, wiki etc.) those will help others help you :)

#7 Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:01 PM

I have to agree with the others. It can be a challenge. Especially at first. But it can be a lot of fun too.

I would try to learn a little about building web pages first and see if you're up to the challenge. You can find a lot of good tutorials at the W3 Schools website. From basic HTML and CSS to Javascript, PHP, SQL and more. It's a great website to begin with. You can build your site on your home computer in your spare time and worry about hosting when you get a little closer to being ready.

#8 JohnRocks

JohnRocks

Authentic Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:58 PM

I also agree with others for that I thing you should collect the knowledge of html, css and php after that easily you can develop your site.

#9 Stargon

Stargon

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Web & Graphic Design

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:46 PM

I will agree also what people are saying. Believe me, I was struggling when I wanted to create a website too and I was learning HTML for the first time, but now I realize that making a website isn't that big of a deal to me. CSS came next, now I'm just starting to learn about JavaScript. If building a website is what you really want, then I would start with learning HTML first, then just practice with it so you'll get the hang of it.

Edited by Stargon, 15 June 2011 - 10:46 PM.

Stargon
Graphic & Web Designer (HTML & CSS only)