This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Website Help

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Any advice on starting a website for a small business? Particularly with regards to hosting and domain names.
I've seen packages like this http://www.1and1.com/windows-hosting and wonder if anyone would recommend this kind of thing? Or an alternative?
Ohmytech, You should first consider if you want free or paid hosting, for example get your website hosted by Google sites or pay a host fee. If you're looking at paid options specifically I personally would choose a Linux-based offering, I have very little experience running websites on Windows, except IIS 5/6. I feel Linux gives you a lot of flexibility especially if you use a hosting provider which includes a CPanel/WHM interface. Cpanel lets you control a lot of settings from a dashboard, which could take a lot of manual editing with a standard Linux host, so it reduces the learning curve a little. Rich

I would say that those aren't bad deals if you're prepared to pay for hosting and you want it to be on a Windows platform. i do agree with rharrison about the Lniux-based offerings because of the Cpanel, but if you want to go with 1-and-1, i would suggest either the middle package if you don't want to take advantage of dreamweaver which comes with the package on the right.

For the small business I do not recommend to start from expensive plans. However, I do not trust free host… So, currently I am hosting my website with HOSTENS and I am satisfied with their services.  It has a great  deals that might help to save money money. You can check website www.hostens.com/shared-hosting if you need more information on services and deals. 

Hope this was helpful!

Good luck :adios:

Any advice on starting a website for a small business? Particularly with regards to hosting and domain names.
I've seen packages like this http://www.1and1.com/windows-hosting and wonder if anyone would recommend this kind of thing? Or an alternative?

There are a lot of packages for small businesses nowadays. Haven't heard of the ionos you posted, but the packages seem really affordable. However, I can't speak for the kind of service they give. Bluehost is a good one, especially when you're gonna use Wordpress, as kaltem said. They offer packages with higher costs that the link you posted, but I have tested their service and they're good.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI