This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

7 boxes

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I prefer not to reset MSIE 8 but am having difficulty understanding which boxes I should check on the general tab. After you open explorer and see general, if you click on 'delete' you will see there are 7 boxes. Generally speaking, which should be checked? Only one request, when I sign into my email, it will remember my user name but not my password. Beside that, whichever is safe is what I would like checked. After Googling and reading at the explorer 8 site, I am still usure which need to be be checked. I went to get help from M.S. but noticed support for MSIE8 ends July 3rd. Also, I would have had to turn over my machine to their diagnostic tool which gathers information amd I was not too happy to do that. So, of the 7 boxes which are a safe choice to check?
Hey Peter1,

If you are wanting to clean up your Browsing History, but keep login details and not the passwords, tick the following boxes :

- Temporary Internet files
- Cookies
- History
- Passwords

You could also tick the "InPrivate Filtering data" box. I would personally keep all that information though.

If you want to keep your passwords, make sure the "Passwords" box is unticked.


I hope that answers your question

Nahumi

Hey Peter1,

If you are wanting to clean up your Browsing History, but keep login details and not the passwords, tick the following boxes :

- Temporary Internet files
- Cookies
- History
- Passwords

You could also tick the "InPrivate Filtering data" box. I would personally keep all that information though.

If you want to keep your passwords, make sure the "Passwords" box is unticked.


I hope that answers your question

Nahumi



>>Yes that worked and thank you for your help.
I suddenly got two Firefox icons and when I deleted one from the start up. Everytime I go to Firefox(from MSIE which my wife uses) It asks me about 5 questions. How do I go back to the way it was? It is now in safe mode and when I click on it these questions are posed. is there some adjustment? I have removed the program and reinstalled it but the same thing occurs.
Questions as though you were either in safe mode or had been in it. Such as do you want to reset …etc I do not want to go back and view the questions again as I think I have stabilized it. I checked the third question having to do with resetting passwords etc and I was able to see my different bars. I'm sorry this is disjointed but I am a stranger to F.F. Each of Mozilla's products have given me trouble. It seems they really entrench themselves into your system so even if you uninstall with Revo, a reinstall reverts back to your old problems. Thunderbird was so bad I had to abandon it. I will continue to see if I can work this out so that future questions can be more precise.
Okay, so you're trying to use Firefox instead of IE?

Usually they'll ask you questions about importing settings from IE if you're switching over, but I'm not sure if that's what you're getting.

If you're not entirely sure about using Firefox, there are other alternatives which are a bit easier to use. Google Chrome, for example, has been getting quite popular over the last few years. It has a very simply interface and you can manage your settings a bit easier than with Firefox.

http://www.google.com/chrome

I suggest you try installing it and see how you get on with it. It will import all your settings and bookmarks from Firefox and IE automatically the first time you use it. After that, it won't ask you any more questions.

Keep Firefox installed if you don't like Google Chrome, you should be able to go back to it without a problem. It's all down to personal preference I guess. But if you don't get on with Firefox, give Chrome a go.


I hope that helps,

Nahumi
After a lot of experimenting, the browsers have stabilized. I am sorry to have caused this time and energy expenditure. i will look into Chrome but there was feature that turned me off when I was investigating. Thank you for your help.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI