This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

wirelss banking

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I was reading that banking wirelssly is unsafe. If I uncheck, "enable wireless router radio", will I increase my security using the router only as a firewall for my desktop or does it make any difference?
Hi,

I was reading that banking wirelssly is unsafe


This is a big area and there are lots of different views on the whole topic of Internet banking and the safety implications.
trying to boil things down as far as possible.
1 if you don't connect wirelessly then yes disable the wireless completely, and just to be on the safe side go into the router settings and disable remote access to management controls
2 The router "log ins" (usernames and passwords set by default are widely known……..(both by the bad guys and the good) so change the default router log in password to a strong password…
3 Make sure all your passwords are strong* don't use the same password …use a different one for each log in , change it frequently
4 Make sure your browser does not save encrypted files to disc.
5 Only use your own computer fully updated with all security and Windows updates, for banking, and ensure your bi directional firewall is running at all relevant times, and your anti spyware anti virus etc is running and updated at least daily.
6 If anyone other than yourself has physical access to your machine or your router then you are at risk………(a router can be set back to default, and log in and and wireless re-enabled by anyone with access to your router and a paper clip! If your passwords are weak then you could be in big trouble……
7 You can search for advice on creating a strong password, but remember if a password is a word in a dictionary (any dictionary in any language in the world even with a few numbers tossed in then it can easily and quickly be cracked…….
8 Here's an example of a weak password………..Mozart77899
9 Here's an example of a stronger password Z!969872£>*AgrTm7~+BjH("?<2Q
There are applications available that will create a strong password for you.
10 finally if someone can get physical access to your computer..then you are at risk…..in the same way if they can get access over the Internet by getting some malicious code on your machine via a virus, trojan back door etc or the computer operator using unsafe procedures….
Hope this helps
Regards
paws
I have the remote feature disabled already but now I will uncheck "enable wireless router radio" when banking etc. Also, because I was not using charcters other than letters and numbers my passwords were considered weak. That will change now and they will be retested. Thank you for contributing to online safety and I hope others read this thread.
To be truthful, I have several passwords that I use for different things, all of them have mixed cased and numbers, and the passwords to more important accounts include special characters. But none of mine meets Microsoft's standards for "Best". And that does not bother me because I follow, with strict discipline, #5 in paws list above.

And concerning #5, I might emphasis the "your own computer" part, because you just can't ensure a computer not under your control has not been compromised, especially if you don't know who might have had physical access to it.

And don't write them down. Use a password safe. That sounds like common sense but I can't tell you how many password lists I have found under client's keyboards!!!!! I've been using SplashID Password Manager for the Palm PDA for many years and highly recommend it. I use it backwards from it's primary use. It's a PW manager for PDA's that includes, and syncs to a very nice desktop password manager for Windows. I just use the desktop password safe. Then next time I synchronism my PDA's contacts and appointments, my password safe gets backed up to the PDA too.

And I would offer that if your computer is connected to any network that has Internet access, then I would consider all times as relevant, so it is just best to keep your firewall enabled at all times too. It you have to take it down for some other access issue, it is better to fix that, instead of taking it down when perhaps you need it most. Knowing paws, he was not suggesting otherwise. I'm just thinking out loud.
I follow those rules and especially never use another pc to do banking. I run a cable to my router from my pc - that router communicates with my laptop wirelessly. Under these circumstances, isn't it wise to broadcast my SSID and also to enable 'braodcat wireless router radio'? I have read to do otherwise compromises security. My passwords are never put in my pc but are kept on two flashdrives which I hide. My system is backed up to an external hard drive in case of failure but the passwords are not on that drive. And, thank you for the password referral 'safe' site.

Under these circumstances, isn't it wise to broadcast my SSID and also to enable 'braodcat wireless router radio'?

Wise? I don't think that's the issue any more. If you do your banking on your PC and it is connected to the router via Ethernet, and you keep the computer current and have a decent and updated security solution, then unless you have your PC opened up for full sharing or remote access, "safe" would be the operative word. And I would say you are safe to leave your wireless enabled because your router keeps the wireless side isolated from the wired.

Understand there really is no such thing as a wireless router. A router only has 1 input and 1 output. The 4 ports on the back are really a 4-port Ethernet switch mounted in the same case as the router. And a "wireless router" is really a marketing term for a device that includes a router, 4-port Ethernet switch, and a wireless access point (WAP) in the same case. Three discrete network devices integrated in the same box.

Hiding or broadcasting your SSID does not do much for security either way. Hiding it will only stop a junior wannabe hacker from seeing the wireless side of the network - and only for a few seconds.

Hiding the SSID really only keeps nosy neighbors from seeing that you have a network. And depending on where you live, that may not matter anyway. If you live in house and the next house over is a few hundred yards away, you may not even see any other wireless networks. If you live in a giant apartment complex, you may see several or even dozens. The key thing is to change all the default passwords and use the highest encryption possible. And don't pick a SSID that everyone will immediately know is your network. Like calling it "PetersNetwork", then setting the password to your dog's name would not be smart.

That said, I keep my SSID disabled even though I know anyone driving down the street with a directional antenna can easily see I have a wireless network in my house.
I think I understood most of your message. I have a better understanding of the router, now. It seems as though you feel I am relatively safe with the information I have given you. One phrase confused me however; " I keep my SSID disabled". Did you mean to say you keep it enabled so it can be seen? You said it was safe to enable it as I have done,or am I misreading this phrase? I understand enabled to be checked and therefore it can be seen.

One phrase confused me however; " I keep my SSID disabled".
Did you mean to say you keep it enabled so it can be seen?

I should have said, "I keep my SSID Broadcasting disabled". And I keep is disabled so it cannot be seen. You don't have to "see" it to connect to it. You only need to know what it is. And I know mine. Yes, I have to manually type in the SSID instead of clicking on it, but I only do it once per machine. If you owned a coffee shop and offered free wifi, you would want your customers to readily pick yours out of the crowd and you enable broadcasting.
I should add I have an older PDA that needs to see the SSID when first connecting to a new network. So I have to enable broadcasting, setup the connection, then I can disable broadcasting again and the PDA will remember how to connect again. But on other devices, I just type it in.
Half of the literature says to enable SSID and the other half says otherwise. I read that it does not provide more security but attracts less attention so in fact I think it is better to "not show the SSID". I believe that is what you do. When I was trying to reset my passphrase etc I was asked to "overwrite my previous settings or not". I have forgotten what I did. Do you know which I should choose? I believe it would be to 'yes' it b/c I am changing from old to new but I'd like a confirmation if you can provide one.

Half of the literature says to enable SSID and the other half says otherwise.
I read that it does not provide more security but attracts less attention so in fact I think it is better to "not show the SSID".
I believe that is what you do.

That's right. But it is not enabling or disabling the SSID. It is enabling or disabling the broadcasting of it - to announce the presence of the wireless network or not. The wireless network is there, and usable regardless.

Yes is correct.

Half of the literature says to enable SSID and the other half says otherwise.
I read that it does not provide more security but attracts less attention so in fact I think it is better to "not show the SSID".
I believe that is what you do.

That's right. But it is not enabling or disabling the SSID. It is enabling or disabling the broadcasting of it - to announce the presence of the wireless network or not. The wireless network is there, and usable regardless.

Yes is correct.



>>I am unable to reply with MSIE8 and chose quote.
I do understand the SSid now.

I had asked," When I was trying to reset my passphrase etc I was asked to "overwrite my previous settings or not".
I have forgotten what I did. Do you know which I should choose?
I believe it would be to 'yes' it b/c I am changing from old to new but I'd like a confirmation if you can provide one.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI