This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

1st time builder

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Basically, I am in the same boat as many first time builders. I have an idea of what parts are necessary for a gaming PC, and I am pretty confident in actually putting one together (have seen numerous videos). My issue is actually making sure components are compatible and work well together. The following are the parts I have researched after reading numerous reviews and forum opinions. I am not really willing to go any higher than my current price which is around $1,500.00.

If you guys have any advise on better parts that are more compatible, or parts that are equally powerful but less expensive, please I need suggestions!

CASE: NZXT TEMPEST EVO Crafted Series TEVO-001BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (big enough to fit the CPU cooler) - $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16811146062

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750 - $200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16819115215

CPU COOLER: Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler (They are out of the black version :( - sad ) - $65
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16835242001

COOLER FAN: Scythe SY1225SL12M 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan (I'm am not sure if I want two for the pull/push air mechanism) - $12
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16835185058

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - $200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16813131621

RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D - $230
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16820145224

VIDEO CARD: ASUS ENGTX470/2DI/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - $350
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16814121372

HARD DRIVE: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16822152185

POWER SUPPLY: CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power - $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16817139004

SOUND CARD: Creative 70SB073A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16829102006

NETWORK CARD: VisionTek 900296 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express Killer Xeno Pro Gaming Network Card - $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16833189001

OPTICAL: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM - $25

MY QUESTIONS:
1. Will the motherboard have enough slots for the x3 2GB? Should I be sticking with x2 2GB or upgrade to x2 4GB?
2. The EVO crafted series case seems to come with at least 3 case fans, does this mean I will not have to purchase extras for the case?
3. Do you see anything that is not compatible?
4. Is there anything that seems unnecessary price wise (in other words, could I downgrade anything and still see good results)

Thanks in Advance!
Hey Jatanasio, Welcome to WTT, First off, you've made some nice choices. The GPU is a great choice and means you'll be able to use some of the new technology that's coming out in games, such as tessellation. As far as I can tell everything should be compatible. The motherboard has four RAM slots and 3x2GB will work without a hitch. You also have the option of upgrading that to 4x2GB. You have to make sure you are running a 64-bit Version of Windows/Linux to take full advantage of 6GB of RAM though. The airflow of the case should also be pretty good, but considering you'll be using a Fermi based GPU, which is notorious for running at high temperatures, I would put in as many fans as I possibly could. Mainly for peace of mind. The obvious drawback to this is the machine will get pretty loud, depending on what kind of fans you buy. I think my only concern with this setup is the PSU. You'll find that 550W will struggle to run everything, especially once you plug the GPU in. My advice would be to get something closer to 700W. Your system may not draw that much power, but having a bit of headroom will ensure your parts don't burn out. If you want to save some money, you could always replace the Core-i5 with an AMD Phenom 955 or 965 BE. You could overclock either to get a bit of extra power. I hope that answers your questions, and good luck with the build. Nahumi

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI