This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Building a Gaming Machine!

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, before i begin, i want to say im not that very tech savvy. I am trying to build a Gaming rig. That will run efficiently being aired cooled. I don't want to spend money on water cooled tanks, cause its just out of my budget range. I am willing to spend around 800-900 or so dollars on the build. I put together a list already of parts that i want on newegg. Can you tell me if the hardware i picked out is compatible with each other and will work for the machine. I am not sure what kind of fans to get or if i need anything else for this build. I have 3 hard drives, a 750 watt Corsair PSU, rom drives, and RAM. All i need is the CPU, the Case, the Video card, and the Mobo.


Here is my build that i put together on newegg. If you have any other better recommendations let me know, thanks!

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedW…spx?ID=17256047


If you need any more information let me know!
Jeff Matthews, Your link is private to your user account at newegg. It can't be shared, since user must first log in to your account. Afraid you'll have to manually list your selected components or copy/paste links to each component.
No problem. Fast replies!! This is probably the best site i have been to go for various technical help. I try to ask for this same help over at pitstop and i get replies from various members that don't sound like there that professional. So definitely very good customer service here indeed!





Anyways.. i will list each component separately.

FULL ATX CASE - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16811119197

GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16813128412

EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB Graphics Card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16814130434

Intel Core i5-661 Clarkdale 3.33GHz 4MB L3 Cache CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16819115217


Now for the CPU A friend told me to stick with Duo core instead of getting a quad core cause they get hotter and with out having a water cooled system, it can over heat my rig. I am not sure if this is true though. IF this isn't true i wouldn't mind swapping it out with the i5 Duo Core 2 Quad with the 8mb Cache. Only another 100 dollars more for that.

As for video card, i want to get one that runs less CPU power as possible so my rig can handle it. I ended up buying an 8800 Nvidia BEFORE and it turned my computer into a fire cracker so to speak. But i want one that is powerful enough to handle most gaming. I know this is sort of vague but i don't really know enough to explain it in technical terms, sorry.

The PSU i have is a Corsair which i heard is like the top of the line. Its also a 750 Watt so im pretty sure my PSU will be able to handle the load.

The only components i didn't list was the RAM which is obviously not that hard to pick out. I think i just have to get some DDR3 and im ok. Also fans, im not exactly sure what types of fans/heatsinks to get or if i should go with the standards that come with the CPU and motherboard. I think the case is alright but there might be better ones. I am only planning on building a cooling air system though. A friend told me a good air cooled system can handle an i5 and a 260 GTX video card.

As for the case, that is a nice case i think, what do you think? Think i should change it or keep that one.

Anyways reply back when you can, hopefully that was enough information for you to help me out some!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI