am using Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail.
If I wish to forward or reply to a received email, I usually try to delete all the included addresses at the top of the email and sometimes some of the content in the body of the email. Most times, if I highlight a block of text and/or an image and press the Delete key, nothing happens and the highlighted portion cannot be deleted. However, if I place the cursor at the end of some of the text and press the Backspace key, or place the cursor at the start of the text and press the Delete key, the text can then be deleted a character at a time.
Sometimes, if I click the mouse to place the cursor at the start of text to be deleted at the top of the page, the display just jumps to the foot of the email page, instead of remaining at the initial position. If I scroll down the page and place the cursor at the foot the page (to delete some of the unnecessary additions) as soon as I click the mouse, the page jumps to the top again.
This didn't happen when I used Outlook Express and Windows XP…….Does anyone have any idea why this happens and know of a 'cure' ?
Hi, the only thing that springs to mind immediately is that you need to press the "forward button" before you try to edit the email……
but I guess you are already doing that ?
Regards
paws
Thanks for your reply, but as you said, I have already hit the 'Forward' button. In fact, you can't delete anything until you select either Forward or Reply, which is quite acceptable.
It is a real annoyance
Yes you are right it is a pain!
Here's the workaround http://email.about.com/od/outlookexpressre…ive_Mail_OE.htm
However to my mind it shouldn't be necessary to do this….
There has to be a easier way…
It might be worth downloading a fresh copy of Windows Live mail, uninstalling the old, doing a disc cleanup, rebooting and then installing it again with the freshly downloaded application, and seeing if this does the trick.
Regards
paws
Or …. switch to a different E-mail program. I use SeaMonkey which has a built in E-mail client as well as an excellent browser, IRC client and web page composer.
Thanks Paws for your reply but that's a lot of hassle just to clear some unwanted stuff.
Ztruker Thanks for your suggestions but the hassle of setting up a new email client is not worth it. I have tried Thunderbird before and didn't like it much…..
I have found another way around the problem - I just copy the bits of the received email I want , open a new blank email and paste the content into the new email.
I know it's also a bit of a pain but less than trying to delete the unwanted items……….
I guess I'll just stick with what I've got.
Thanks again guys
You may want to post your problem over in the Microsoft forums. A lot of the MS gurus and techs hang out there and may be able to help you solve this. If not, they can provide you a link that you can use to request MS look at fixing the problem. No guarantee but it's better than nothing.