This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Need help

12 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Not sure where to put this so if this needs to be moved please do so. I am new to this forum. I am not computer literate so explaining what is happening maybe abit difficult for me. So hopefully it can be understood. Thanks in advance. This problem started about 2 weeks ago and I am not sure if it is a software problem or hardware problem or other. When I first turn the computer on everything loads as normal. I usually go and check my emails and delete the ones I do not want. Everything works well. Then I go to the internet Explorer7. I log onto a forum. when I go to reply to a post and try to paste something it does it but what happens is the word paste is now part of the screen in blue background and white letters and will not go away at any time. I can then go back to my emails and delet an email and the word delete now becomes embedded in the screen. It too will not go away till I reboot the computer. I also am not able to get away from the forum by hitting the red X on the top of the forum page. I would have done a screen shot but do not remember how or else I would show you an example. Hope someone can help. Thanks. PS I just did a restore to back before this happened and that did nothing to cure the problem. John T.
Hi John T and welcome to WTT Forums.

I've gotta say, that I haven't encountered this stated problem in my own experience.
But there is a "possible" easy fix. :)

We may need a bit more information, but I'll propose the "fix" in advance.

I'll presume that you are copying the "Text" from a rich text editor such as Microsoft Word.
Most folks don't pay any attention to "Formatting Styles" in their word editor application, and simply allow the default Theme and Default Style.
The Default would be "No Theme" and "Normal" for Theme and Style respectively.

You can have a look in your Word application from the command Icon or command word labels at the top of Word.
Click - Format
In the Format pull-down menu, you will see the options for "Styles and Formatting"

The default selection of Formatting is labeled "Normal".

Other styles and formatting options may not "translate" seamlessly, when posting into a Forum or Email "Compose Box", therefore may display a format instruction (such as Paste, Centered, Bulleted, Indent, and similar) embedded in the text that is displayed.

Let us know what you find.

You may have intentionally or inadvertently changed your Formatting Style in the original document location of the text you copy/pasted.

Best Regards
Here is the screen shot of what I am talking about. The bluebox with the word copy is next to my name in the reply on another forum. This will happen once and then I can continue as normal and copy and paste whatever I want. It stays on the screen till I either reboot or shut down. Like I said the other strange thing that happens with this is that I can not get out of a site by hitting the RedX at the top right corner of the forum page. This will happen for a couple forum changes and then I will be able to hit the X and have the site close. Not sure if I am explaning things right so hopefully the screenshot helps. Thanks.







[external image: Posted Image]
Does this happen only in IE7 or once it happens (the Copy in a blue box for instance) it stays on the screen no matter what program you have open and if none are open it shows up on the Desktop? If only IE7, try FireFox or Google Chrome and see if the problem occurs there. If not then it's a IE7 problem so we can work on that. If, once the box appears it stays on the screen all the time then I'd say it's a video problem, probably driver. Try going to Device Manager, expanding Display Adpaters, then right click and Uninstall your display adapter. Reboot and XP will rediscover the adapter and reload the drivers, see if that fixes the problem.
It can happen after I open IE7 and then go back to open emails. I get out of IE7 and when I open emails and go to delete them the word delete will stay on the screen. Yes it stays there untill I reboot or shut down and all programs not running. I open IE7 and go to a forum and if I right click to open the box that has the copy and paste features in it, the box is at first very faint and light but when I move the mouse over it it becomes bright as normal. This is when this problem occcurs. I may want to copy and paste something from one site to include in a reply on another site and the box appears and stays. I will look at what you mentioned. This just happened about 2 weeks ago. Had the system now for about 2 years.
Rich I did as you said and when I right clicked the word uninstall is now embedded in the screen. I did not click OK because I was afraid I would lose something I should not. Are you sure they will come back???
Hi John T.

Your screenshot illustrates what you previously described, thank you.

Let's see what word program your IE7 has set for word processing.

Please open IE 7
From the command line words at the top — click - Tools
In the tools dropdown menu — Select - Internet Options
Select the - Programs(tab)

Here's what you will see:
📎IE_Internet_Options_Programs.jpg

Tell us what Program is already selected for HTML editor (in the above image you can see mine shows Microsofte Office Word)
__________________-
__________________-

In addition to Ztruker's good recommendations for investigating the source try using Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).
Let us know if the problem continues when using No Add-ons.
📎Internet_explorer_no_addons.JPG


__________________-
__________________-

Do you use those additional toolbars?
I was composing my reply as you and Ztruker were also corresponding. So my recommendation may be out of sequence. Please answer all the questions posted by both Ztruker and by myself. While Ztruker's line of investigation sounds sensible, I am also suspecting that you may have a custom "Style" or custom "Formatting" selected in your Word processor. Have you used Style or Formating in any letter-writing or document composing, recently? Have a look in your Word application to assure you are using "Normal" and "No Theme"
John T. Yes, you can safely uninstall the video card then reboot. XP will detect it and reinstall the driver for it which will make it available again. You may have to reboot once that is done. Then do some testing, see if the problem still occurs. You could also see if there is a newer driver available at the computer manufacturers web site. What is the make and model number of the computer? Are you really running XP Pro 64bit? Try DOug's suggestion to run IE7 with no Add-ons, see if IE7 really is the trigger to all this.

Hi John T.

Your screenshot illustrates what you previously described, thank you.

Let's see what word program your IE7 has set for word processing.

Please open IE 7
From the command line words at the top — click - Tools
In the tools dropdown menu — Select - Internet Options
Select the - Programs(tab)

Here's what you will see:
[attachment removed]

Tell us what Program is already selected for HTML editor (in the above image you can see mine shows Microsofte Office Word)
__________________-
__________________-

In addition to Ztruker's good recommendations for investigating the source try using Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).
Let us know if the problem continues when using No Add-ons.
[attachment removed]


__________________-
__________________-

Do you use those additional toolbars?




OK I just got back home and I see I have a few suggestions. The first thing I did was open th tool thing and there is nothing in the HTML editor box. Just a blue box.

Just so you know the computer I am using was built by a computer guy I am not sure if I can answer any questions regarding it. Yes it is Windows 64professional

Another side note is when I clicked on the tool button the drop down window appeared in that ghost like look and when I placed the cursor over it it appeared normal but now I have the words internet options embedded on the screen.

Waiting for the next try. Should I do something with the addon things as suggested???
Well, I think Ztruker may be on to something, because you are noticing those ghost like command options, and then lingering image. And I think my suggestion may also be on to something, because of the empty html editor box. When you click on the blue box with the downward pointing arrowhead, are there options available. If yes, select your version of Microsoft word. _________________ Yes, please do attempt to run IE (No Add-ons) and report back with any changes or improvements. Best Regards
OK I run IE7 with no addons and no change. I went and uninstalled the display adapters and all h–ll broke loose. I tried rebooting a couple times. But what happened was all desktop items, all forums and everything was huge. Could not fit on the page. I panicked and did a system restore to get back to what it was and the problem still exists. Awaiting next try. PS I went and checked the html editor box and when I click on the drop down arrow the only thing there is the word notebook. I will say again this started about 2 weeks ago. The only thing I did around that time was to reinstall avg security. Somehow that got uninstalled and some funny emails got sent out using my email address. Not sure if that is relavent.
Uninstalling the Driver for your graphics card, causes the machine to revert to native on-board graphics which often only supports 800 pixels X 600 pixels (Thereby, text font, icons and images will appear much larger and with less fine detail.) "Depending" upon the options available in your on-board graphics adapter, you may still be able to adjust size of fonts/icons/images… or not. With your Mouse, Right-Click on any empty space on your desktop… where there are not icons or open windows. This brings up the Display Properties option box. Select the "Settings" (tab). Have a look to see if you can adjust the slider for higher screen resolution. (move slider to the right and numbers get bigger) Otherwise, you will have to freshly install the Driver for your graphics adapter to regain your screen resolution.

avg security. Somehow that got uninstalled and some funny emails got sent out using my email address. Not sure if that is relavent.


Ooops… that could suggest a trojan infection, or possibly someone has obtained your email username and password.

I suggest you get this checked.
Read here
Post here
Doug thanks. I have had no other problems. When I reinstalled avg there has been no other email problems. I was told by someone it could be a phising thing or something like that. They did not have the actual account but make it look like it was sent from my account. I did not save any of them. Looks like the problem is tied to the IE7. If I open another window with the IE7 web browser the same thing happens. It is the same for as many as I open.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI