Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

cannot use activex controls

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hedley93

hedley93

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:16 AM

I have come across this on many occasions where I get a message at the top of an ie page saying that 'your security settings do not allow websites to use ActiveX controls installed on your computer. This page may not display properly'. I have checked the security settings under 'advanced' in the tools menu in ie, but cannot see any reference to ActiveX controls. Does this have to be set somewhere else and if so could anyone tell me where exactly. Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered. hedley

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:09 PM

Tools, Internet Options. Click on the Security tab. Select Internet then click Custom Level. ActiveX stuff is there.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 hedley93

hedley93

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:13 AM

Hi Ztrucker Thanks for the reply. I have changed Active X controls here and will see what happens next time I come across the problem. Many thanks for the help. Much appreciated, as always. hedley

#4 hedley93

hedley93

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:34 AM

I opened yahoo browser to check the familys emails. I found I could not open yahoo mail. This was 2.00 am, so I left it alone. This morning tried again, still the same. Was also able to access the home page of this website, but could not access the forums, even going through my oe email. I also tried other websites, same applied. I was able to open the home pages, but couldn't get any further than that. As a matter of interest I went into options and reset all the security options to default. I was able to open yahoo mail and the forums here and links on other websites. Seems making active x controls 'active' takes something away from the internet access. Would anyone have any ideas, please. Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered. hedley

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:42 PM

Sounds like you have a bad ActiveX control installed. If you want a real eye opener about what ActiveX controls are on your computer, download and run (no install needed) ActiveXHelper.

Look at the ones for Internet explorer (there are 3 choices).

You can disable them from this program too.

Rich

#6 hedley93

hedley93

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for that Ztruker. I don't recognize about 96% of the results. I did find the following belonging to IE, though they are maybe not what you were talking about: DHTML Edit Control for IE5; DHTML Edit Control Safe for scripting for IE5; HTMLDLGHELPER. - HtmlDlgHelper.1; Internet.HHCtol.1 - HHCtolObject. The last entry I have given I found 3 of these. Also found MC ActiveX Plugin - ActiveX Object. Are these anything like what you meant? Thanks for the help. hedley

#7 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:55 PM

I don't recognize any of them either. Which of the 3 drop down choices did you find them in?

Rich

#8 hedley93

hedley93

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:49 AM

Hi Ztrucker, thanks for the reply. I used the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID which already had the radio button on. I had no idea just what any of them meant so I left the other 2 alone. Should I have picked one of the others and if so, which one. I would have no idea what to put into either of them, hence the reason for not using them. There were something like 190 activex controls came up as running on my pc. Don't have any idea what most of them, if not any of them were referring to. Thanks for the help. hedley

#9 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:23 PM

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. I really don't know what is good or bad there. When I looked at that area on my Windows 7 Pro X64 system, there are 6612 entries!!!!! Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility there are 208. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects there are only 3. The last two are the ones I would look at closely. For instance, the last one that has 3 shows: {1392b8d2-5c05-419f-a8f6-b9f15a596612} Freecorder Toolba No Enabled Yes ............... {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} AcroIEHelperShim.AcroIEHelperShimObj.1 Adobe PDF Link Helper ............. {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper No Enabled No ....................

Rich

#10 hedley93

hedley93

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't know what I'm doing really so I think I'll leave well enough alone. As the saying goes: Better the devil you know as the one you don't. Thanks again for all your help, much appreciated, as always. hedley