This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

How to add 2nd optical drive to Send to menu

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a XP Pro SP3 + all updates computer that has two optical drives, a CD-RW (E:) and a DVD-RW (F:). The DVD-RW appears in the Send to list, but not the CD-RW. Is ther any way to add the CD-RW to the Send to list. I tried the obvious method of creating a shortcut in my SendTo folder but when I select files and try to send them to E: to be written to a CD or DVD, I get a popup that tells me to insert a blank disc. I do not get this when I send them to the DVD-RW drive. I vaguely remember reading something somewhere about only being able to have one optical drive in the Send to list but I can't find it now so I'm wondering …
Hi Ztruker

By default, the Send To menu in Windows XP lists the following commands (destinations):

* Compressed (zipped) Folder
* Desktop (create shortcut)
* Mail Recipient
* My Documents
* 3 1/2 Floppy (A:)
* CD Drive
read more: How to Add Items to the "Send To" Menu in Windows XP

XP only allows ONE burner to be enabled at a time. If you have two, XP enable recording on the faster drive?
Check this theory: My Computer/DVD-RW and CD-RW/Properties/Recording - Select write speed.
I can't - have combo CD-RW and DVD-R.

or

Try to Remove a DVD-RW drive from the Send To Menu and Add CD-RW. Try now. Add DVD-RW again?
On this way we will confirm that Windows is only being able to have one optical drive in the Send to list.
That's pretty much what I vaguely remembered, rats!. So, if I want my CD drive to appear in Send to instead of DVD, I should be able to uncheck "Enable recording for this drive" on the DVD then reboot and the CD drive should show up. I'll give that a try. The reason I need to do this is the DVD drive doesn't like the blank CDR discs I have, where the CD drive writes then fine. Thanks

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI