This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Can't see optical Drive - CD/DVD

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I had my mother board crash, in short, I have had to rebuild my machine.
When I boot up, I see my two drives… a CD Rom and a DVD R/RW.
Once I get into XP sp2, I only see 1 drive.

  • Both optical drives power up and I can eject them from the front panel.
  • When I put in a CD/DVD, I can hear it spinning.
  • In the device manager, I only see 1 drive and no errors.
  • I have tried swapping the cable ports, but still only see 1 drive. Always defaults to CD Rom and not the DVD

I found another topic on this site that requested I check my CMOS… but I don't seem to have a CMOS under my system BIOS. Nor anything that lists out my CD or DVD at all
I selected default settings on my BIOS
The topic went on to suggest I back up the REG and create a file called FIXCD.REG. I did all this, ran it, rebooted, but no luck

I know my drive works, I can disconnect the CD Rom, and the DVD works… or vice versa. If I have them both plugged in, it always defaults to CD.

I used these drives on my old machine for years with no issues. The new motherboard (ASUS P5K-E) doesn't seem to like them both???

Any suggestions? :(
Hi djburn,

Since you have apparently moved the CD and DVD units from an older machine, into your newer machine, the Jumper Settings on the units may be involved with your problem.

If, for instance, both units had been installed on the same IDE Ribbon , one may have been set at Master, and one as Slave.

Newer IDE channels generally "prefer" the Cable-Select jumper settings for both units.

A little experimentation with the jumper settings may fix you up.
______________-

Additional information may be available via Event Viewer - System

Keep us posted with your progress.

Doug
OK, so I checked the jumpers on the drives… it was set correct….one was master, one was slave. Because I had no better options, I rolled the jumpers on BOTH drives. I also (again) changed the position on the IDE strip, rebooted and now it works! I don't know why….but at this point, I have bigger fish to fry. Thanks Doug for your help. And if anyone might know… I thought it did not matter what position your IDE drives where on, just as long as they were connected and had power. It was my impression that it was the jumpers that said "master" or "slave", NOT the position on the ribbon. Am I wrong? Do they both (position and jumper) have to match?
Yes. Position and Jumper Settings must match. With "newer" systems, this has been made easier with the preference for "Cable-Select". But still, conflicts can occur relative to the machine involved. Glad you got it sorted. Doug

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI