This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

cable speed

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have used several testers and it seems my download speed is roughly 25 Mbps and my upload speed is 4.5 Mbps. Am I getting the speed I should? Comcast upload is notoriously slow but I was more concerned with the download speed because since I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 8 I notice a slight slowing down. Example when I close off of the internet, I see a little circle spinning for about a second. It is called buffering I think. Other aspects within Win 8 are crisp though.
buffering is when data is being downloaded from the internet to your pc before being played. for example when you watch a video off the net, it will download say 30 seconds of it before starting to play it, that way it has 30 seconds to download more of the video while you watch the first 30 seconds, now on a slow connection the pc will play that 30 second clip before it has downloaded the next 30 seconds, so that's when you will see the buffering circle spinning, it's waiting for next 30 seconds to be downloaded before it can carry on playing the clip. very annoying. :rofl: the spinning circle your seeing is probably just letting you know it's working at shutting down the connection, like you've asked. now as to your question are you getting the speed you should, who knows.. what speed are you paying for, and what speed does comcast guarantee you'll get? i will say tho your speeds are very good, much higher than mine. 17Mbs down, 0.9Mbs up. and there is nothing i have any problems with at those speeds, i'd certainly like to have your upload speed tho, then i could watch my media on a mobile device quicker. :D :popcorn:
Hi Peter, You and Terry and Rich have really made me feel very inferior…..(with the speeds you are getting compared with mine……) Your speed for example Peter is over 10X the speed I can get…….. What takes me over an hour and a half to download, will take less than 10 minutes on your connection….. You guys should be sitting there with big smiles on your faces… like these: :D :D :D Regards paws
Paws, Sorry to hear that. Iet's hope for an improvement. I notice R say he is getting what he paid for so I will contact my ISP to see what I should be getting. I always thought location down the line had a lot to do with it. Also how many people you had in your pod too. I have Comcast but I think Verizon is faster. Fios is not available here. Peter

Load definitely has an impact. Last night, right after I posted, I check with speedtest.net and got 28.7/2.6.




>>I just checked on a busy Saturday and got 25 and 4.5

Being around the nation's capitol in MD might have something to do with my speeds.
Your upload speed is great - is it FIOS with Verizon or cable like my Comcast?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI