Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91910 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

cable speed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

I have used several testers and it seems my download speed is roughly 25 Mbps and my upload speed is 4.5 Mbps. Am I getting the speed I should? Comcast upload is notoriously slow but I was more concerned with the download speed because since I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 8 I notice a slight slowing down. Example when I close off of the internet, I see a little circle spinning for about a second. It is called buffering I think. Other aspects within Win 8 are crisp though.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

buffering is when data is being downloaded from the internet to your pc before being played. for example when you watch a video off the net, it will download say 30 seconds of it before starting to play it, that way it has 30 seconds to download more of the video while you watch the first 30 seconds, now on a slow connection the pc will play that 30 second clip before it has downloaded the next 30 seconds, so that's when you will see the buffering circle spinning, it's waiting for next 30 seconds to be downloaded before it can carry on playing the clip. very annoying. :rofl: the spinning circle your seeing is probably just letting you know it's working at shutting down the connection, like you've asked. now as to your question are you getting the speed you should, who knows.. what speed are you paying for, and what speed does comcast guarantee you'll get? i will say tho your speeds are very good, much higher than mine. 17Mbs down, 0.9Mbs up. and there is nothing i have any problems with at those speeds, i'd certainly like to have your upload speed tho, then i could watch my media on a mobile device quicker. :D :popcorn:

#3 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,807 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

My speeds are 30/3 which is what I pay for.

Rich

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:12 AM

Hi Peter, You and Terry and Rich have really made me feel very inferior.....(with the speeds you are getting compared with mine......) Your speed for example Peter is over 10X the speed I can get........ What takes me over an hour and a half to download, will take less than 10 minutes on your connection..... You guys should be sitting there with big smiles on your faces... like these: :D :D :D Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

Paws, Sorry to hear that. Iet's hope for an improvement. I notice R say he is getting what he paid for so I will contact my ISP to see what I should be getting. I always thought location down the line had a lot to do with it. Also how many people you had in your pod too. I have Comcast but I think Verizon is faster. Fios is not available here. Peter

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,807 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

Load definitely has an impact. Last night, right after I posted, I check with speedtest.net and got 28.7/2.6.

Rich

#7 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

Load definitely has an impact. Last night, right after I posted, I check with speedtest.net and got 28.7/2.6.

>>I just checked on a busy Saturday and got 25 and 4.5

Being around the nation's capitol in MD might have something to do with my speeds.
Your upload speed is great - is it FIOS with Verizon or cable like my Comcast?

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

Road Runner cable through Brighthouse.

Rich

#9 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

Road Runner cable through Brighthouse.

Sounds like you are getting your money's worth.