This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Desktop/laptop

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I would like not to share unless necessary as I feel it compromises secruity. I have Norton which seems to indicate the relative status of each pc. On my laptop it indicates that the laptop is 'secure' and the desktop is 'restricted'; from the desktop it indicates the desktop is 'secure' and the laptop is 'shared'. Would you say my settings are as they should be, or should there be changes? I think I chose 'share' for the laptop thinking it needed to be that way in order to connect to the desktop. Thank you
Hey Peter1,

It really depends on the setup of your network. If it's a closed and password protected Wifi LAN, then you should be okay. As long as you're not expecting a stranger to join your network, there should be no security risk in sharing both your desktop and laptop. If you're out and about and decide to hook up to the cloud on your laptop then Windows will ask you whether the connection is 'Home', 'Work' or 'Public'. As long as you select 'Public' , your laptop will not share any documents or information on the network.

Doug recently posted a link to a useful link to an article about network security: http://forums.whatthetech.com/More_attacks…ce_t110447.html

Like Doug said:

When you set up your network
Change the default login name
create a "strong" password
Disable - Remote management (in the Administration section near where you clicked to enable your wireless features)


So in essence, your router is where all your real security lies. Applications like Norton give an extra layer of anti-viral and firewall protection, but in most cases the latter is not needed.

If you are really worried about security there are a couple of things you could do. Firstly you can always modify your router to block certain websites. Secondly you could get yourself a copy of Windows 7 Upgrade. Windows 7 has something called Homegroup. Essentially this is an update of Workgroup and requires everyone to enter a randomly generated password to join. Furthermore, Windows Firewall will stop any unauthorised access on your PC and Laptop by default, so you should be well covered in terms of anyone having access to your valuable documents.
I read your links and thank you for the information.
May I ask, if I do not wish to have the desktop tell me that the desktop is secure and the laptop is shared, how do I change so it will not say share but say something more secure like restricted.
I think 'share' has nothing to do with connectivity so I think I go to the folders in the laptop and look to unshare but am unsure.
Thank you
That site had nothing but good words which is comforting. Yes, it id say we are invisible as I clicked on the different selections. I appreciate the referral.

You're welcome. It's always nice to get some confirmation on security. I run that every couple months.


>>I'm having trouble with the interface. When I click on your link in my email, it taks me to your post, but when I log in I cannot "reply.
I have to click, 'quote'.
I have tried several ways but something is not right -any ideas?
Also, I wondered if you use Secunia. I think it does a good job of detecting progrms that need updating and other vulnerabilities.
Don't understand what you mean? >>I'm having trouble with the interface. When I click on your link in my email, it takes me to your post, but when I log in I cannot "reply. I have to click, 'quote'. What happens when you click the Reply button below the last post in the thread?

I don't use Secunia. I don't have a lot of trust in these kinds of programs. Probably just a personal quirk, but I prefer to keep track of stuff myself.

Don't understand what you mean? >>I'm having trouble with the interface. When I click on your link in my email, it takes me to your post, but when I log in I cannot "reply. I have to click, 'quote'. What happens when you click the Reply button below the last post in the thread?

I don't use Secunia. I don't have a lot of trust in these kinds of programs. Probably just a personal quirk, but I prefer to keep track of stuff myself.



>>I see your link in my email. I click on it and it brings me to your message. I click reply and it prompts me to sign in which I do. I need to find your message again so I click on the back page arrow u til I see yor link again. Previously, I used to get right to your message.
I click again on the link and each time i am prompted to sign in. When I click on reply, it tells me to sign in again.
I am reaching you by clicking on 'quote'.

>>I edited because I found my mistake. For years I used to just respond to a link, click reply, sign in when prompted and write my message.
I just clicked your link in my email, SIGNED IN, then was directed to the pthread where I could post.

It appears ok now and I was in error.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI