Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet explorer 8 w/vista gets blank pages- says done on bottom

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Pblyman

Pblyman

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:10 AM

Recently, my internet explorer will get blank pages in the browser and will say done on the bottom left of the page. When the computer is restarted.. the pages will work for around 50 internet pages.. then go blank again.. and comp will need to be restarted. Please help.. this is very annoying and I am wondering if it is ie8, a bug.. or a configuration. Here is a hijack log... (attached) Thank you so much in advance, Paul

Attached Files

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:21 PM

I've had a word as you posted a log, and this section is not for logs, hence the conversion to an attachment, but from what they saw at a brief look they didn't see anything obvious, so lets try some basics, I don't have an answer to your problem, there is little to go on at this stage, so heres hoping some simple maintenance will sort it out.

Assuming your operating system is Vista as per your info under your user name, I suggest getting and running Disk Cleaner, and CCleaner, both are free junk file cleaners, both these WILL wipe your cookies as well, so if you use them to stay logged in at sites you will need to remember your log in details, if you want to use such cookies let me know and I will explain how to save those specific cookies, so all other cookies will get wiped.
Note:- When installing CCleaner take special notice of the check boxes, I suggest unchecking the bottom one (unless you want the Yahoo toolbar, and the 2nd one from the top I think it is, unless you want it to appear in your Start All Programs list, personally the shortcut on the desktop is enough for most.

Now with the junk gone lets check a couple of settings, launch ie and press the Alt button (if needed) to open the menu bar at the top of the browser, there are other ways but no point repeating the end result, click on Tools - Internet Options, under the general tab click on Settings under the Browser History section, highlight the number shown and type 20, next check the top option for Every time I visit... then OK to exit that window.
Next click on the Connections tab at the top, then LAN settings near the bottom, look at all the check boxes, if there are any checked , uncheck it\them, then OK that window to close it, then apply\OK to exit the main window, see how you go after doing this, for an experiment, should the same issue happen again, close the browser and run the junk file cleaners, then without rebooting see if pages load again, if they do then it suggests some space it uses is getting filled therefore blocking further content until emptied, knowing\proving this will help narrow down the best solution, hope this helps a bit though.

Braindead

#3 Pblyman

Pblyman

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:51 PM

Thank you so much.. Sorry about the hijack log.. im an idiot. I tried everything and ill let you know if the issue is resolved. I really appreciate your time. Thanks, Paul

#4 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:09 PM

NP, if thats the worst thing you ever do your laughing lol, we've all been there, anyway see how that goes and I'll await your feedback, replies may not be fast as I have masses of building work going on in the house currently, but will always respond as soon as I can.

Braindead

#5 Pblyman

Pblyman

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:18 AM

Hello again, Once again, it is still doing the same thing. After a while of using the internet, it will go back to the same blank pages.. and computer must be restarted in order to see pages again. Any other ideas? Thanks, Paul

#6 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:24 AM

I take it running the file cleaners did not stop you having to reboot to regain the pages loading again ?
Not sure if you've mentioned what version of ie your using, but if it's 7 or 8 then it may be worth uninstalling it, but first get Firefox and install that, see if using that duplicates the issue, just trying to figure out if this is solely an ie error, or something bigger, maybe system, or router, it's as though some space it uses to save browsing history is getting full or something.

OK lets start from the bottom up, to begin physically remove the main lead from the router, leave it 30 seconds then plug it in again, then surf as normal and see if this helps.
Next give Firefox a try, see if that helps, and finally if neither of these work go to add\remove in the control panel and uninstall ie7/8, run the file cleaners, reboot, run the file cleaners again, then see what happens after that, if it starts behaving we will reinstall ie8, but wait for instructions before doing that, although downloading and saving to the desktop in preparation is fine, see if anything here provokes a response and let us know the results and we can go from there.

Braindead

#7 Pblyman

Pblyman

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:05 AM

hi there again.. Well.. firefox did the same thing. I just reset my cable box and going to run cleaners again. Ill let you know how that goes. Will get back to you soon. Thanks, Paul

#8 Pblyman

Pblyman

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:14 AM

still doing the same thing after I tried everything you said... Any other suggestions now? Thanks, Paul

#9 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:59 PM

This is an area where I would just plod through and eventually get there, but rather than me writing masses I have found some info that walks you through things to try, some I've already suggested, but maybe seeing it written in a different way may make better sense to you than I have with my limited time ATM, and sorry if some seem to cover the same ground, but they have slight differences that may help, I will still do all I can to assist if I can, but to cut down my ramblings lol try and work through these guides and see if they help then we can go from there.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956196
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902932
http://support.micro...kb/936213/en-us
http://support.micro...aspx/kb/925280; No idea what this is personally, but it may shed some light for you.

Braindead

#10 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:52 PM

Hi Pblyman. Give Dial-a-fix a try, see if it resolves the browser problem. No install needed, just run the .exe file.

Click on the double green arrow at lower left then click on Go. Wait for it to complete, then reboot and see how things are.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#11 Pblyman

Pblyman

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:08 PM

thanks, when i open dialafix- it says that it is not ready for vista yet.. so it wont let me open the program. Anyway around this? Paul

#12 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 26 November 2009 - 08:49 PM

My fault Paul, I missed that you were running Vista. I should have noticed that in the info section of your posts.

read here and see if this helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

Rich

#13 Pblyman

Pblyman

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:25 PM

absolutely nothing has worked. I even uninstalled ie8 to see if that was the issue. It displayed "done" with a blank page even with mozilla after a while. I've checked on other website also and there has been know known answer or fix for this. Please if anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thanks so much for everyone's effort. Paul

#14 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:49 PM

Paul, have you looked through the links 8210GUY gave you? There is some good information on troubleshooting in them.

Rich